~39~

I recovered completely during the following week, and our life slipped back to its usual routine.

Vlad stayed with me over the summer, leaving the castle less often. Now that Junior was involved in everything that Vlad used to do alone, we had more time to spend together and start getting carried away by our plans for the future.

Vlad only left the castle once for more than just a few hours, leaving me alone for several days, soon after the night when Radu was arrested. He had to travel to Hunedoara, the seat of the Council, to lay the charges against Radu officially. They told him to come back in about three months, in the second half of October, to the hearing. There and then, they would announce what they decided to do with him.

I didn't know how Vlad was feeling about the situation with his brother as he refused to talk about it, but I was secretly hoping the Council wouldn't be too harsh. I didn't want even Radu's future fate to overshadow our relationship. He had done enough harm to us in the past.

The date of the hearing coincided quite well with Clara and Ioan's 'appointment' with the mighty Council, so it was decided that we would all be going to Hunedoara together. I hadn't travelled far from the castle as yet, and Vlad was eager to show me around. The idea of seeing more of this place was very exciting.

The only thing that Radu's intrusion in our life really changed, at least apparently, was the number of knights and Guards populating the castle. They were hidden in every shadowy corner again, and there were many of those in the ancient building.

This time, I didn't even try to complain about their presence, I knew that it would be pointless. So I gritted my teeth and tried my best to ignore them, which was quite difficult when they followed us even when we went out, for walks or horse rides.

I only managed to persuade Vlad to leave them behind when we went to the lake, but then he was never quite relaxed, his eyes darting to the shadows among the trees so often that I asked, frustrated by his behaviour, if it wouldn't be better, easier for everyone if he just changed me, so we could all breathe freely again.

That brought on our first ever argument. Staying human didn't matter to me as much as his peace of heart, I tried to reason with him. Unsuccessfully, as expected. Our discord didn't last long and, of course, didn't change anything, but it managed to release the tension that had settled over us inconspicuously since the incident with Radu. After that, we just stopped going to the lake. It wasn't worth it.

The rest of the summer passed away fast, and when the autumn arrived, Junior was well trained for his future responsibilities of a prince. He seemed to be enjoying himself as he didn't complain much, and that was making me feel happy. Soon, I would have Vlad all to myself.

"What are you thinking about?" Vlad asked, caressing my cheek.

He caught me watching him over the rim of my cup of warm milk with honey that both Katerina and Cook insisted I drink at least once a day lately. I didn't complain or question their unexpected decision, I liked milk with honey too much to risk their change of mind.

"Your hair is still wet. Let's sit by the fire," he proposed as I didn't reply straight away, too lost in my thoughts.

It was the beginning of October, and we just got drenched in the first autumnal downpour during one of our rides in the forest. Of course, Vlad was perfectly unaffected by all that freezing water that had soaked through our clothes, but I was feeling cold now.

"I was thinking that it won't be long now... " I said finally, finishing my sentence with a sneeze.

I followed Vlad to the bench by the fireplace and sat down, leaning into him.