~20~

As we reached the edge of the forest, it became obvious that what under the thickly grown trees had looked like a gentle snowfall out in the open was an oncoming blizzard. It was getting windier by the minute and snowing so heavily that I couldn't see the castle anywhere and had to follow Junior closely and blindly across the meadow.

I thought we had lost our Shadow somewhere on the way until we reached the castle's gate, and I noticed the two knights standing there start suddenly at the sight of the wolf walking past them.

They really are scared of wolves, I thought, jumping off the horse and passing the reins over to a groom who materialised out of the dark corners of the windswept courtyard. I patted Frost's neck one last time and looked at Shadow, who sat patiently at my feet.

Seeing that the wolf had no intentions to leave, I asked Junior, "May I take him inside?"

He looked at me, eyebrows raised in do-you-really-have-to-do-this look, but only said, "This is your house, Samara. You can do whatever you want." Junior dismounted his horse as well and paused to talk to the groom.

I ran to the door, suddenly too impatient to be inside. It is evening now, would he be back already? I was halfway up the stairs, Shadow at my heels, when it occurred to me that Junior might have stayed outside to ask just that of the groom. I turned round in time to see the man shaking his head. I couldn't hear his words above the howling of the wind, but I could see the response forming on his lips clearly in the flickering light of the torch he was holding. No. His Highness has not returned yet.

Junior's eyes found mine across the large hall dimly lit by a few torches mounted on the walls, their tall flames swaying in the wind coming through the open door. He shrugged in a silent apology.

Suddenly, my coat seemed to weigh a ton, and my shoulders slumped under its heaviness. The snow covering me from head to toe had melted, and now I was wet through and shivering, not only because of the cold. Why is he not back yet? This wasn't the kind of night to spend outside, in the open.

"Will you come with me in the kitchen? You must eat something," Junior said, walking towards me across the hall. "Or shall I send someone up with your dinner? Do you prefer to eat alone?"

"No, don't w-worry. I'll come down. Just let me get c-changed, I'm c-cold." My lips trembled so much that I was stammering.

"I guess I should do the same. Otherwise, Cook won't let me in her kitchen, drenched like this," he said, smiling.

As he reached me, where I stood on the stairs, I saw a drop of water running down the bridge of his nose and reached out to wipe it away with a trembling hand. He took my hand in his and gave it a gentle squeeze.

"He will be alright," he promised, "you mustn't worry."

"I k-know," I said, teeth chattering, hoping to sound optimistic.

We climbed the stairs together, walked down the corridor, then stopped outside my room.

"My chamber is the last one on this floor. Don't hesitate to come or send someone should you need anything."

"Thank you," I managed to say, lips twitching at seeing the reaction of the two guards positioned by my door to Shadow's attention to their feet.

The wolf seemed intent on storing away all new smells for future reference, particularly those of vampires.

Junior laughed, patting Shadow bravely on his head. "I'll see you in the kitchen then. Bring your new friend, I want to see Ioan's face when he sees him," he said, nodding to the wolf, then retreated down the corridor, still chuckling.