~34~

Ever since the ball, the castle remained filled with hectic activity. Sorina and Mihail's wedding wasn't supposed to happen in another three months, but some preparations started almost immediately.

I was involved in all the planning and organisation this time. Everyone seemed to need my advice or hear my opinion. Which was good. Most of the time, at least.

Cook engaged me in ordering food and planning the meals for the wedding. I spent so much time in the kitchen that not only did I manage to learn something about medieval cuisine, but I also memorised the names of all the maids and servants Cook commanded.

Sorina chose and accepted a couple of my dresses and needed my and Clara's help with adjusting and refashioning them because she was quite a bit taller and slightly more curvy than me. However, my skills in needlework had improved considerably, and together with Clara, we always managed to let out a few seams in the bodice and attach lengths of lace at the bottom of the skirts. So our creations, once finished, looked like completely new gowns.

Katerina needed help, too. She involved me, Clara, and even Sorina in helping her to reopen and make habitable again those spare chambers of the castle that no one had used in decades.

It was as if they were all trying hard not to make me notice how busy both Vlad and Junior were, and how many times one of them, sometimes both, disappeared from the castle for two or more days, called away by the awful Council.

However, when Vlad had to leave, he made sure that Junior was there with me, should I have some time, or need for a friend. This way, we could talk again. Junior never failed to respond to my questions, even those I preferred not to ask of Vlad, thus filling the gaps in my knowledge and memory of this place slowly.

My life was so busy that I didn't even properly notice how the lush spring ended and the hot, dry summer arrived, with the date of Sorina and Mihail's wedding drawing always nearer.

"Do you know why Father insists on my staying here? It's been months since the ball and no offence, I'm bored. Even though he drags me to all the meetings and makes me always work more... I need a change!" Junior declared one afternoon at the beginning of July as we were coming back to the castle after a ride in the nearby forest, accompanied by my faithful Shadow.

Vlad had been gone for the last few days, and I couldn't wait for him to return. Not even being constantly occupied as I was helped me feel his absence less.

"I have no idea," I said truthfully. "But when do you actually get bored with all those young ladies following you around wherever you go?" I mused, smiling at him teasingly.

"You spend too much time with my father, Samara," Junior said, frowning as he jumped off his horse on reaching the courtyard. He handed the reins to a groom and dismissed the knights that had been following us. "You're becoming like him."

"That's not true! I haven't seen him in days and even before, all these months..." I called, letting him help me off my Frost and pull me in an encouraging embrace.

I was suddenly very aware of how little quality time I had spent with Vlad lately. But, wasn't it like this when married to a prince? He had a country to rule and his people to look after...

"I'm sorry," Junior said when he released me, and we made our way inside. "I didn't mean that. I know it's not easy for you."

"I'm not complaining. I understand. He is busy." I shrugged.

There was nothing to do about it. I wasn't precisely happy with the situation, but I got used to it. Like so many other things in our lives, it couldn't be changed.

"Is he still coming back tonight?" I asked. It wouldn't be the first time Vlad had to stay away longer than planned, only letting one of us know at the last moment.