~32~

Vlad led me back to our chambers, using the spiral staircase again, to avoid most of the commotion caused by the overexcited inhabitants of the castle. If only the ball was over already.

He left me in the corridor connecting my chamber to the library, with an excuse that he had to write a letter before getting dressed for the ball. There was a strange mixture of happiness, anticipation, apology, and something else in his eyes as he kissed me. I had never seen that sort of look before.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Nothing," he said, walking towards the library. "Katerina is waiting for you." He stopped in the doorway, turned around, and said, smiling, "I'll send for you when everything is ready. See you later, Princess."

Hmm. I didn't like it one little bit. What was all this... mysteriousness about?

I entered my chamber cautiously, only to find everything as usual. As soon as Katerina saw me, she dragged me towards the bath, helped me out of my dress, and told me to relax. Just say that one more time and I'll scream, I thought as she carried my used clothes away, returned with a couple of towels reminding me not to get my hair wet as there was not enough time to dry it, then disappeared again in the direction of the library. When she came back some time later, there was a large wooden box in her hands.

Great. Jewels. I didn't like wearing jewels, and both Vlad and Katerina knew it. They respected it. Mostly. Obviously, tonight I would have to wear some. I closed my eyes and groaned when I remembered, at the last moment, that I couldn't disappear underwater.

I stood up instead, reaching for a towel. There was no reason to postpone the inevitable.

"Katerina, would you bring me a shirt and the white dress? The one with all those buttons at the back?"

The thought of what I was going to wear tonight had been at the back of my mind for a few days, and finally, I decided. The white and grey fur-lined dress with the pearl buttons was simple and elegant, comfortable, and unassuming. It wouldn't attract too much attention.

"No, my lady," she said, taking me by surprise.

"No?"

"No. You would be too hot in that dress."

"So what did you choose for me?" I asked. Of course, she had something else in mind, but I couldn't care less. I just wanted this evening over and done with.

"Would you come here please?" she asked, walking towards the bed.

I sighed but followed her nonetheless, still wrapped only in one of the towels. The first thing I noticed was a huge mirror leaning against the wall that hadn't been there before. Then I saw the dress spread over the bed. All the bed. It was... huge and beautiful. So this is the surprise.

"But I don't need a new dress," I said, sitting down next to the fairytale-like gown carefully, letting my fingers roam over it, wishing I needed one. Because I really liked it.

This gown was different from all the others I had. It was... more. It had a stiffer bodice and tight sleeves, an infinity of petticoats, and a very long train. Instead of the usual velvet, cotton or linen, it was made of bright blue silk and lace... And I might have even considered wearing it if it wasn't so full of pearls.

"Katerina, I don't like jewels!" I complained, pointing at the dress as if being covered in pearls was the poor thing's fault.

"That's why your husband has never given you any since you came back, except for your ring, of course," she said calmly, and I knew that she had been expecting this conversation.