~25~

Disentangling myself from under the covers, I sat up and put my feet over the side of the bed where they disappeared in the soft wolf's fur.

My faithful Shadow. He rolled on his back immediately, mistaking my accidental touch for a caress, and I could not resist him. I slid down to the wooden floor next to him, letting him rest his large, furry head in my lap, scratching and caressing as he squirmed playfully under my touch.

That's how we were found by Katerina. She entered my room with a tray laden with food and two maids in tow. Why does she always have to bring Alina? I must talk to her about it.

The old nurse set the girls to work on preparing my bath while she made her way to the table to deposit the tray there.

"Katerina, let me eat here, please," I called, and she returned, unsure.

"On the floor? With your... animal?" Her eyebrows rose so high in surprise that they momentarily vanished under her black cap.

"Do you want me to eat or not?" I asked her, unmovable.

"Very well. Just make sure you finish your dinner if you want your bath."

She passed me the tray and vanished from my view.

I placed the various bowls on the floor, tempting Shadow to help me eat. It turned out he liked most of the dishes prepared by Cook tonight, and I happily settled for a piece of bread he refused and a cup of warm wine.

When Katerina came to tell me the bath was ready, all the food was gone, and Shadow was impatient to be let out for his usual nightly adventure.

"Thank you, Katerina," I said as she collected the empty dishes, ignoring the puzzled looks she was shooting between me and my friend who was licking his mouth thoroughly, raising Katerina's suspicions. "Would you mind leaving me on my own now? Please?"

"But..."

"Please, Nurse. I can manage. I want to be alone," I begged. I really wasn't ready for company.

"As you wish, my lady," Katerina allowed.

"Would you let him out for me? I pointed to Shadow, who was already standing by the door, ready to bolt as soon as someone opened it for him.

"Certainly. I'll see you later then."

I nodded and watched as everybody exited my room.

As soon as they were all gone, I stood up, donned my slippers, and approached the bath. I checked that I had all that I needed within reach-- a bar of soap, a couple of towels, a clean shirt-- all folded neatly on the bench by the fireplace. Good.
I removed my shirt, letting it drop to the floor, and entered the bath, the soap in my hand.

The scented water, warm and soothing as it was, did not help much. I was too nervous, too worried to stay still. Don't think. I needed to move so I would not start thinking, despairing again.

It didn't take me long, and I was out, dry and clad in clean linen, drying my damp hair by the fire. It was amazing how fast the smell of the burning wood replaced the scent of soap, penetrating every inch of the fabric of my clothes, lingering on my skin, in my hair.

I smiled at the sudden memory of my mother, who never allowed me to use the fireplace in her perfect house. She considered wood fire messy and malodorous. Somehow, I found its scent comforting.

What I didn't find comforting at the moment was the thought of Katerina and her minions coming back soon and trying to talk to me. I could disappear back in my bed before they came... It was just that I had had enough of my bed, too.