Part 8

Rhaenyra sat across from Catelyn in Bran's room, her hands weaving together a prayer wheel. She numbly let her fingers twine together the twigs. Her eyes would occasionally glance to the child on the bed, staring for too long, trying to see his small chest move up and down. Rhaenyra sighed as she looked up to see Catelyn, the woman had not left her seat for hours. She only left the room to gather what they needed to craft and demanded Rhaenyra stay so her son would not be alone.

Shouts could be heard from the hallway, Rhaenyra turned her head to the open door. Her ears then picked up the voices of her husband and his father questioning Maester Luwin. She looked towards Catelyn, she did not lift her head from the prayer wheel.

"Bran," softly spoke Ned from the doorway. Rhaenyra's fingers stopped weaving, her eyes finally leaving her good mother to glance back at Ned. He walked toward the bed, he sat its foot alongside the large dire wolf that refused to leave her master. "He never falls." His voice faded as he spoke. Rhaenyra turned toward the doorway where her husband stood. His blue eyes not meeting hers, never leaving his brother's sleeping form. Rhaenyra pushed herself from her chair, gripping the bed for support. She placed a hand against her belly and turned to Bran, she pushed his hair from his face and placed a kiss against his forehead.

Rhaenyra walked towards her husband, grabbing his hand as she passed him. Robb continued to stare at his brother. She left them, letting them grieve over Bran's state. She slowly walked down the hallway towards her room, she gripped the wall slightly as she did. She reached her opened door, seeing Septa Mordane bouncing Domeric on the bed. Rhaenyra smiled at the sight.

"Look, little Lord, your Lady mother is her," happily exclaimed the septa. "How is he?" Her tone changed quickly.

Rhaenyra sat on the bed beside her son, who gnawed at his fist with red cheeks. She sighed heavily, "We just have to wait until he wakes." She gave a shattered breath. "You may go, many thanks for your help this day." She gave a heavy nod as the woman left. Domeric then grabbed her long hair with his wet hands, she pulled him to her and kissed his cheek. She laid on her side, bringing him close to her chest, his hands still tangled in her hair. Her hands went to his ever-growing hair, trying to tame the mess of curls. She let her eyes close as her son began to squeal to himself. There was a knock at the entrance to her room, it was Jon.

"Rhea?" Her eyes opened, she lifted her head slightly to look past her son. Her violet eyes met Jon's saddened gaze. "What happened? All they told me," he paused, looking down to the floor. "They told me Bran fell, not if he was alive. Nothing." Rhaenyra sat up, Domeric releasing her hair. He pulled himself from her embrace to slide off the bed. He waddled to his uncle and held his small arms up. Jon simply picked up the boy.

"He is not dead," her voice was a whisper. "Maester Luwin concluded he is merely in a deep sleep. We have to be patient, he will wake soon. I know it." She pushed her hair over her shoulder, sighing as she moved slightly on the bed. "Sit with me." Jon nodded, positioning Domeric properly in his hold. The young boy sat facing his uncle, smiling and beautifully ignorant to the horror going around him. Jon held his small hand in his own, he sadly smiled back. "He looks just like Robb doesn't he?"

Jon nodded, "I always tell people Robb gave birth." He laughed lightly, his eyes finally met her's. "Not a speck of you in him." Rhaenyra gently pushed his shoulder.

"Don't say that I think he has my nose." Her finger tapped her son's small nose, he responded with a giggle. "I can't wait to see what this one looks like, maybe it will look like me. I am doing all the work, after all, I would like some credit in the child." Jon placed his nephew on the bed, the child immediately went to the pillows above where he nestled into.

Jon nodded and looked toward his hands, he began to fidget with his gloves. "I need to tell you something." Rhaenyra hummed her response and fell back on the bed, "I am to take the black." Her eyes widened.