Part 11

Rhaenyra soothed her crying child, the boy had not stopped since Domeric slapped his head early that evening. The sun was still out then. She bounced Henry in her arms as he wailed, tears stopped flowing from his grey eyes. Rhaenyra did not take notice to her young brother in law sulking alongside his dire wolf at the foot of her bed.

Rickon's blue eyes were clouded in tears. He watched his good sister care for her son, his chin digging into the covers of the bed. Occasionally he would attempt to get her attention with the small whisper of, "Rhea."

Rhaenyra sighed as Henry finally calmed his screams. The child was days old and had already made his presence known with his voice. She lifted her gaze from her son to see the saddened Rickon. "Little Lord, what is wrong?" He whipped his cheeks with the back of his hands and crawled to the free space bedside her.

Rhaenyra lifted her free arm for him to cuddle beside her. "Mother hates me." She looked down to the boy with a questioning look. "She just pays attention to Bran. He's not even awake." His tears fell as his good sister placed a kiss on his head.

"You will always have Robb and me to turn to. No need to cry." She gently rubbed his back and whispered, "It is alright." Rickon shook with each sob, his tiny shoulders heaved as he attempted to breathe. Rhaenyra continued to calmly rub his back as he cried. There is only so much stress a child can endure, she thought. She let the child cry knowing it is what he needed.

She heard the sound of boots hitting the castle floors, she paid no mind. Rhaenyra simply focused on soothing her brother in law and son. Her gaze lifted from Rickon to see Robb standing in the doorway, anger evident on his features. Rickon continued sobbing, it only increased at the sight of his brother. He left Rhaenyra's side to quickly run to Robb, arms out for a hug. Robb dropped to his knees and held his brother.

"It's alright," he whispered. Robb kissed his youngest brother's head and lifted him only to place him back on the bed. "You will sleep with us tonight," Rickon's cries softened. Robb let his hand slide across the boy's untamable curls, looking to Rhaenyra as he did. "Domeric is eating with old Nan."

"Poor child," she gave a sad smile. Robb left the room, she knew where he was going, to scream at his mother about his poor brother's state. Rhaenyra sighed as she placed Henry on the bed, hoping Rickon would find enjoyment in playing with the baby. He pushed himself to his stomach and watched his small nephew gurgle and coo. Rickon's tears dried against his red cheeks, staining them. He nestled himself further into Rhaenyra's side. "He will sleep soon and you should change for bed. Go get one of Robb's nightshirts."

Rickon nodded and slowly walked to the dresser in the corner. He searched through the drawers, pulling various shirts for himself. "They are all so big." Rhaenyra laughed from the bed, her eyes never leaving Henry.

"Yes, well. It is more comfortable that way." Rickon ran to her, a small smile spread across his face. He sat before her with a pale blue nightshirt in hand. Rhaenyra rolled her eyes as he simply put it over his clothes. "No little lord,'' Rickon giggled at her false annoyance. She helped him undress and pushed the blue shirt over his head. "There we are." Rickon stood on the bed, mindful of his nephew, and bounced on the pillows.

He sighed as he watched his good sister admire her son. He sat up abruptly, "Here Shaggy Dog." The wolf lifted his head from his spot on the floor at his master's smooth voice. The large dire wolf jumped to the bed, to protectively lay beside Rickon. "Goodnight Rhea, goodnight Henry.''

"Goodnight, Little Lord." Rhaenyra lifted her child from the bed, bringing him to her chest. She fell beside Rickon and Shaggy Dog in pure contentment. She closed her eyes, waiting for her husband to return from wherever he was. Her ears picked up the sound of boots echoing in the hall, she felt relaxed at the sound. "Love thank gods,'' she opened her eyes to see a man standing in the doorway. She clutched Henry closer to her chest as Shaggy Dog began to lowly growl.

"Is that Brandon Stark?'' His filthy voice questioned. Rhaenyra shook her head, hoping Rickon would not pay attention to what was occurring. Her free hand slowly reached under her pillow. She could feel the smooth blade of her dagger. "Where is he?" She shrugged. The man disappeared.

Rhaenyra sat up in the bed, a hand gripping her child while the other reached for her dagger. "Rickon, get up." He opened his eyes, glaring at her. "Let's go, come." She easily pushed herself from the bed, calling for Shaggy Dog to follow as they left. Rhaenyra ignored the soreness of her legs and belly as she walked. The two quickly ran to find Domeric. Her mind raced, wondering who the man was. She feared he was an assassin, paid to murder her family. Rhaenyra shakily sighed as they finally descended the stairs, the floors were empty. She feared the worst.

"Rhea you're too fast," she heard Rickon complain. Rhaenyra ignored him, she looked down to see if he was following and continued to walk to find her child. The castle was never empty, the halls, the grand hall especially. Everything lacked its typical life and bustle. A frightening sight. "Where is everyone?" Rickon whispered as they stood alone in the darkened grand hall. Rhaenyra did not answer, she looked around.

"I don't know little lord,'' her ears noted the sound of a child crying. Domeric. "Rickon," she knelt to the ground. "Sit here, and hold Henry for me. Do not let anyone take him alright. I will be right back." Rickon did as he was told, holding his nephew by the arms on the floor. Rhaenyra followed the child's cries, they lead her to the kitchen. In her hand, she gripped her thin dagger. She was grateful to be barefoot, no one would hear her walking behind them.

She found a young woman soothing her child, her back turned. A sight she never wanted to see. She walked on the hay that littered the floor, not caring of what laid beneath. Rhaenyra lifted her dagger gracefully to embed it into the side of the woman's neck. She forced her against the nearest wall, a cry coming from both the woman and Domeric. "Who are you?'' She questioned as the woman began to cry. "Who are you?''

"I can't say," came the soft whisper.

"Are you with him?'' More cries. "Are you with him?" A nod, Rhaenyra did not need to move her dagger for blood to seep from her neck. "What did you plan to do with my son? Take him? Kill him? Leave him in the forest for the wolves?'' Rhaenyra rolled her eyes as the woman began to whimper, she was in pain from the cut on her neck. A small nick. "Answer me.''

The woman burrowed herself into the wall. "We were asked to," Rhaenyra pushed the dagger deeper. "We were asked to kill him off the castle grounds. Your heirs need to suffer.''

"Put him on the floor,'' she did as told. "You do know my true house," the woman's eyes looked to her, fright encased them. "Yes, you do. You should be flayed for this. You and your confidant." Rhaenyra let her dagger skid across the woman's neck, not deep enough for a kill. The woman fell to the floor, Rhaenyra watched her grip her neck tightly.