Quicksilver

Chapter 17: Quicksilver

I hate the inventor of alarm clocks.  I mean fair enough I don't use my phone as an alarm because leaving it near your head causes brain cancer but how is it my fault it smashed when I threw it against the wall this morning? Why the heck must it make that annoying beep beep beep sound. So basically now I'm rushing downstairs, putting on my red hoodie and I grab an apple before sprinting out of the house and guess what? The bus left me.

Great. Just great.

I decide to call one of my friends and they all happen to be in school already. Darn their good time management. Looking at my wristwatch I see I have seven minutes to get to school so doing the logical thing, I make a run for it and just skip homeroom. Crap. This is really bad for my school records. As I'm about to cross the stop street, a white Mercedes AMG with a red and blue striped paint job pulls up.

"Sorry, I don't take lifts from strangers," I say bending my head, realising the sports car stopped for me.

The driver rolls down the tinted window. "I'm no stranger sweetheart"

"Xavier?"

"The one and only," He winks with a cocky grin. "You coming or not"

"Sure, yeah, uh . . . Thanks?" That came out more like a question. I opened the passenger seat door and got in giving him an incredulous look. "How do you drive with an injured leg?"

"Automatic car, I can drive with one leg just fine, " Silver shrugs nonchantly speeding away. "So overslept?"

I let out a long sigh. "Yeah unfortunately and you?"

"Only manage to get some sleep in the morning before realising it's morning and got pulled out of bed," He says glancing at me.

I nod thoughtfully. "You have insomnia?"

He grips the steering wheel causing his knuckles to turn white and I regret saying what I did. The topic seems sensitive. 

"Just don't tell anyone," Xavier snaps his face quickly morphing.

"Will ruin your I so perfect badboy reputation," I imitate his voice much worse at any rate. Flip why do I have such a big mouth?

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

"Firstly, I don't sound like that and second don't talk about reps to me, I hate them," He retorts the anger diminishing like that. 

I take out my hands from behind my head.

"Sorry, I brought up a crappy topic, I know what it's like to have reputations and expectations," I say earnestly this time, my voice softening. 

He looks at me for a second with those calculating amber eyes. "You have a rep?"

"Well yeah, don't we all? I have to be a genius goody two shoes, nerd with no social life but here I am late for school sitting I'm a car with the 'badboy' who's driving at 200 miles an hour," I say in one breath looking out the window as I speak.

He nods processing what I just said. "Well it's true you're a nerd but I've seen the sassy, fighter, badgirl attitude- what other reps are you hiding, Rose?" He grins raising an eyebrow.