Chapter One: The Lockdown

|| Chapter One ||
|| Words: 1515||
|| April 24th, 2020, Friday ||

In a moment of fear, I jolted awake in a cold sweat, falling off of my bed with a loud thud. I rubbed my back and weakly pushed myself off of the cold ground. Just then, the annoying consecutive beeping of my alarm clock echoed throughout my room. Sighing, I silenced it and turned on my lights to get ready for school.

The dream was still vivid in my mind every time I think about it, but something happened that I cannot remember. In this dream, I was living in LA as a graphic designer but this dreamworld was shattered into pieces by someone—I just can't put my finger on who it was. All I remember was their carved smile, grinning at my world being ripped apart.
Lazily, I threw on a gray UCLA shirt, high waisted jeans, and my worn-out pair of converse. From this being the end of my senior year, I could care less about what I'm wearing to school. I slung my bag over my shoulder and grabbed a granola bar before heading out the door.

As I started walking towards my bus stop, I kept on looking around me, thinking that I'm hearing someone behind me. I walked faster and noticed my neighbors looking at me oddly, of which I smiled awkwardly and kept my head down. Nobody was here at the bus stop today, which isn't that odd since the other seniors don't really show up anymore.
My anxieties were lifted as the bus finally arrived. Taking another look back, I got onto the bus and sat in the very back, putting my earbuds in. I leaned my head against the window but immediately gasped as I saw someone walking away from the bus stop. I'm sure it's no big deal and I'm just being crazy, but something bad is going to happen today. I can just feel it.

Thanking my bus driver, I got off of the bus and started walking towards my group of friends who were talking near the entrance of the school. I'm trying to spend as much time with my friends as possible because we're all going to split up very soon since school ends in less than a month. Our 5 person group has been going strong since the third grade and consists of Cole, Ellis, Blaire, and Liu. Cole is going to North Dakota as a mechanic, Ellis is moving back to Taiwan to be with the rest of his family, Blaire is staying here as a nurse, and Liu says he doesn't really have any plans at the moment—although I feel like he's telling a white lie.

"Hey guys," I smile. They all welcomed me and we started talking until Liu and I had to leave for our first hour.

"Are you doing okay? You seemed a little off," Liu asked, his eyebrows furrowing in worry. I bit my lip and hesitantly nodded. Liu is my best friend since he's the closest to me out of everyone...yet I still couldn't tell him about this small thing. I guess I don't want to seem crazy or anything.

"Yeah? I'm fine," I assured him with a laugh. Out of nowhere, a high pitched alarm rang through our ears as the announcements came on seconds after. Liu and I looked at each other as the whole school fell into a dead silence, listening for the upcoming announcements.

"Students and staff members please go to the nearest class immediately for a school lockdown. This is not a drill," the announcements said abruptly. Liu and I looked at each other again before we started running through the halls to not get caught up into the swarm of students coming from behind us. We stopped at our AP Chemistry teacher's room since she's one of the few teachers that we can handle.

"Y/N, I need to make a phone call, stay in the classroom. I'll be back soon," Liu explained to me, leaving before I could say anything back to him. I scoffed slightly before walking into the classroom.
Something didn't seem right about Liu—I mean ever since we were kids he was always soft and frigid, but that look in his eye and that tone in his voice suggested a sudden change in events.

Students were gathered in the back of the class while the teacher shut off the lights and tried to calm down the annoying, crying girl in the corner. I sat at the opposite side of the wall than everyone else—I mean a lockdown isn't even that serious. It just means that a crime is happening locally but what are the odds that they would instantly attempt to break into a private high school? That's stupid, I mean the amount of funding for our security is unbelievable—and extremely controversial since residents feel like our town is favoring the rich.
The room was filled with the sounds of kids playing on their phones, crying girls, and people shushing each other to be quiet—which is counterproductive if you really think about it.

Liu then texted me unexpectedly with a questioning message that read: "Can't explain right now but you need to come to the parking lot, we have to leave."

I instantly called him and he answered right away.

"Liu are you crazy? Even if I did want to leave, the amount of security...I couldn't get by," I whispered into my phone.

"We don't have time for this, trust me, they'll let you through. Leave right now—and be careful and extremely quiet," Liu warned me in a serious tone, abruptly hanging up.

I made my way through the dark room and quickly sneaked out, facing myself with a pitch-black hallway. I turned on my phone flashlight but immediately turned it off when I saw two police officers walk my way. I hid underneath a nearby table, putting a chair in front of myself. I covered my mouth and tried to be as still as humanly possible.
"Yeah, it turns out this guy's a real psychopath—killed his parents when he was just a kid and ran away. Theorists are always connectin' murders to this guy since he has a 'special' way of killin' them," one police officer said, laughing.

"Oh yeah, how does he go around doin' that?" The second police officer inquired with a smirk. The other police officer was about to answer but a person came behind them suddenly, slicing both of their necks open.

"Like this," the person whispered, laughing maniacally while the two officers started to choke on their own blood and eventually falling lifelessly to the floor. I started shaking in fear but held myself together to not make a sound. Is that...the man they were talking about? If it is then I'm totally fucked.

"Where are you?" The voice taunts in a sing-song voice, "I'll only make you suffer more the longer you hide."

I took out my phone and quickly typed a "help" to Liu, the only person who I could think of at this moment in absolute fear. Their footsteps started pacing but then stopped as they approached the table I was hiding under. My heart started to beat faster and faster, anticipating my moment of certain death. Expecting them to flip over the table, they bent down to me, making me scream at the top of my lungs.

"There you are," he smirked, holding a blade in their hands.
Their shoulder-length black hair was covering their eyes, but that smile...that smile was the exact same one I saw from my dreams. The man grabbed my legs with their cold, bloody hands and forcefully pulled me from underneath the table, placing the cool blade to my neck. He then laughed a little and placed the blade back into his pocket.

"I'll give you a head start, princess, this is just too easy for me to do. Run as fast as you can for 5 seconds before I rip out your throat," he whispered in my ear. I felt him laugh against my neck, feeling his hot breath, making me shiver.

I took the opportunity and quickly ran as fast as I'm able to go but I seemed to run even faster when I heard footsteps following mine. Heart beating quickly, my eyes filled with tears as I knew that this was going to be my final moments before dying—not even finishing high school and not even going to LA as I wanted. Before I could think of anything else, another person came from behind a corner and caught me in their arms. They pushed me behind them in a swift motion, holding the smiling man at gunpoint. I looked up and saw what looked like to be Liu, but I knew it couldn't be him. Liu never had any bravery so how could he hold a serial killer at gunpoint? Unless I don't know him as well as I think I do.