Chapter Two: Liu's Lies

|| Chapter Two ||
|| Words: 1036||
|| April 24th, 2020, Friday ||

Looking up at Liu, he's completely unrecognizable. His grip on the gun seems to tighten as the man walked closer with an even wider smile, eyes fixed on Liu as if he completely forgot about ripping out my throat.
"Little Liu thinks he's a man now since he has a gun, wow I-I'm intimidated!" The man sarcastically says, mockingly putting his hands up. The man walked even closer, his chest hitting the barrel of the gun. Liu's hand was visibly shaking yet he has a nonchalant expression.

"I know all about you, Liu, and oh how you've grown! Working for the FBI and lying about my location just so you can avoid me. So heroic—."

"Shut up! I'll shoot you, don't forget whose holding the gun," Liu growled with a crazed look in his eye.
Finding my chance to escape, I got to my feet and darted across the hallway. Liu has a gun, he'll be fine—right? As I was approaching the exit to the parking lot, I heard a gunshot go off, echoing throughout the entire school. Chills went up my spine as I stopped in my tracks and turned around, hoping for dear life it was Liu's footsteps that were getting louder. To my relief, Liu came from behind the corner.

"Y/N! Get to the god damn car!" Liu yelled at me.

Approaching the door, bullets flew over our heads, although it seemed to be aiming at me. I jumped into the passenger seat quickly as Liu hopped in and drove off, holding his bleeding side. My eyes widened and I was about to put pressure on his wound but he shook his head.
"Put your seatbelt on, I'm fine. I've handled worse," Liu muttered. I did as I was told and looked out the window, watching the forest pass us.

"Where are we going?" I asked Liu, who's eyes were fixed on the road and his hand gripping the steering wheel.

"Don't ask questions right now," Liu mumbles to me, not even glancing my way. Maybe this is the real Liu and he's been pretending to be a different person for the last 9 years we've been friends.

Liu still ignored me for the rest of the car ride until we arrived at a Field Office, which is operated by the FBI. I know that man mentioned something about Liu working for them, but he couldn't—I mean there's no experience that he has...that I know of. He quickly parked in the back and had me follow him to a back entrance, which he had to scan his ID to.
The sliding door then opened for us. Liu grabbed my hand and quickly walked throughout the building. Inside, people were doing all sorts of things: typing on computers, talking in conference rooms, answering phone calls. I wonder what Liu could possibly do here.

We arrived at his own office, which was quite big. The walls were painted an off white, brown chairs were placed in the corners, and an expensive chandelier hung from above the desk. The room had a huge window behind his mahogany desk, filled with a neat stack paper and the newest model of the Apple computer. Around the walls was a huge, messy board of photos linked together with yarn, showing connections to different crimes—however, the overall criminal was the same. It was a man infamously called Jeff the Killer, but formally, Jeffery Woods.

Liu sat down in his seat and picked up the work phone to his ear.
"Hey, yeah I'm here...I know I'm off today. I need you to get the first aid for me, just a level 2–I'm not dying, at least on the outside. Thanks, Quinn," Liu speaks into the phone, resting his feet onto the desk.

I looked at him, waiting for an explanation, yet I was still left questioning everything about my life.
"Sit down," Liu orders, not looking up at me from his papers. I did as told and sat across from him awkwardly. Two knocks emerged from the door and a red-headed, bright-eyed woman came in with a first aid bag in her hands. I looked at her in shock, expecting a man. Quinn hands the bag to Liu with a smile.

"Would you like me to assist you?" Quinn asks, leaning on his desk. Liu shakes his head and starts taking out the necessary equipment for his wound, not even glancing up at her. At least I know I'm not the only girl he treats like this. Quinn nods with a less energetic smile and laid a hand on his shoulder before leaving the room with the loud clicks of her heels.
I lifted my eyebrow. It seems like they had some history together—but it's none of my business. Apparently, everything about Liu is none of my business.

"She's just a friend if that's what you're thinking about," Liu sighs as he begins disinfecting his wound.
Scoffing, I crossed my arms in disbelief and stood up from my seat. It seems like he became a massive dick after I found out about his double life.

"After today, you think I'm wondering if you're fucking your assistant? No, Liu, I'm thinking why you faked everything!" I raised my voice at him.
Liu finally looked up at me, clenching his jaw. He put a bandage over his wound and stood up from his seat, approaching me. I started to back away until I felt the wall behind me. Inches away from my face, Liu started to speak in a deep voice.

"Do you honestly think I faked everything? I may have lied about my work, but everything else was genuine—especially my feelings toward you," Liu whispered to me, his breath smelling strongly like cigarettes and coffee. My face flushed and I avoided eye contact with him.
I've never forgotten. Liu had confessed to me back in our freshman year, but I turned him down. That was only because he wasn't exactly my type—but he's completely different now. His face gotten closer to mine, but he backed away slightly, retreating to his desk.