Chapter Fourteen: Separation

|| Chapter Fourteen ||
|| Words: 1806||
|| May 15th, 2020, Friday ||

The train came to a screeching stop and Jeff sat up, pulling his black hoodie over his head. Adele began fixing her crimson red lipstick and fluffing up her hair, taking multiple glances out of the window. Hilton was getting drunk, assuming that he already wasn't, at the table behind Jeff and I. Then, the footsteps began growing louder towards our direction along with quiet voices.
A woman, who I expect to be Ivani St.Clair, was dressed in a long, form-fitting gown of Diamonds paired with layers of expensive jewelry all over her body. Her white hair slicked back into a long ponytail, reaching to her thighs. Ivani's bright blue eyes settled on Adele and Hilton. Coming out behind her, in a timid manner, is a lanky boy who's still towering over Ivani in her 5-inch heels. He looked like his brother, Percy, I mean: combed-back brown hair, doe-eyed, and fingernails painted a glossy black.

"Ivani St.Clair," Ivani states to Jeff and me, "and this is the Remington heir, Nikolas."

Nikolas seemed spaced out, paying zero attention to us, and sat at the table farthest from us. Ivani narrowed her eyes at Nikolas for a moment before sitting down across from Jeff and me, keeping her eyes glued on Jeff.
"Jeffrey Woods, is it? I've heard about your business in New York, specifically, the province of Clubs," Ivani says, folding her hands together and keeping eye contact.

"Right, I do...," Jeff trails off.

As a moment of silence filled the train, Ivani eventually moved tables as she realized that she's not going to get information out of Jeff. I leaned my head on Jeff's shoulder and watched as the train started to move again. A warm sensation waved over me as Jeff pulled me closer to him. Blushing, I hid slightly into his chest.

"Are you okay?" I heard him whisper to me, feeling the sound vibrations radiating off of his chest.

"Are you?"

We never spoke of that again and spent hours holding each other. We both really needed it. I wish I had hugged Liu more, I just never knew how much baggage he was carrying. That isn't an excuse, though, I should've checked up on him more often even when I think he's 'okay'. Nobody's 100% okay. I just want to be fucking seventeen. I want to go to prom, graduate, and, I don't know, whatever teenagers do at the end of high school.

When I woke up from a dreamless slumber, the cloudless sky was replaced by a sea of stars lighting up the night sky. I was leaning against a wall, with Jeff out of sight. Looking around the dark train, nobody was here. I turned on the light above me, which only gave light to my table, but I could see a little better.
"Hello?" I asked, my voice raspy from just waking up.

No voice answered back but I could feel something here. I turned on all of the tables lights until most of the train was bright enough for me to look around clearly.
I walked out of our reserved section of the train and wandered into the other compartments, reserved specifically for other guests, yet nobody is here.

"Hello?" I called out a little louder.

Squinting, I see outlines of a couple of figures talking with one single light illuminating in the middle of them. Stepping back, I immediately tripped over a bag, gaining their attention. I quickly hid behind a wall, still confused with my recent consciousness.
Holding my breath, I heard hesitant footsteps come towards me. The footprints stopped abruptly and I heard them mutter some incoherent words, and even though I couldn't hear the words, that voice sounds exactly like Liu's. Liu has a very distinct voice, kinda raspy but overall naturally soft-spoken, even when he's angry. I haven't heard his voice so clearly in what feels to be a lifetime...but it's only a couple days. I suppose it feels longer when you're leaving someone behind forever.