Chapter Ten: Spade's Number One

|| Chapter Ten ||
|| Words:1786 ||
|| May 14th, 2020, Thursday ||

|| Y/N's POV ||

I felt myself become dizzier as I proceeded to drink. Hilton isn't exactly sober himself, but he's been replenishing my glass of wine to keep me socializing with hundreds of the most elite families. I've met multiple supposedly important people at this barbaric event—which is watching innocent people fight to the death for our own amusement. In addition to that, I thought I was just drunk, but it turns out that Jeff is actually here...

"Y/N, you look lovely," a condescending voice emerged from behind me. Spade.
Hilton's arm is currently wrapped around my waist while smoking with another wealthy man. I slipped out from his grip and turned to Spade with a subtle scowl.

Before I could say anything, he clenched my arm and pulled me farther away from Hilton. I glimpsed back at him, catching sight of his intense stare at both of us together.
"See that girl down there—Cassie? She's my finest jewel. The epitome of wrath, Cassie is my Queen of Spades," Spade commences. He hands me a pair of golden opera glasses. I hesitated but ultimately took the glasses from his grip.

His deep voice entirely drowns out the classical piano solo echoing throughout the auditorium. I looked down at the arena below us with the opera glasses to see Cassie ruthlessly slaughtering a young girl in cold blood, smiling ear-to-ear. That look in her eye and that technique...Jeff has no chance.

"Queen of Spades," I reiterated, accidentally saying it out loud.

"The Queen of Spades evokes a hostile, lonely and negative woman. Excited by negative urges, the Queen of Spades is in the middle of situations that do not implicate her but she always tries to bring attention to her," Spade comments as if he's reciting it out of a book.

"Why are you telling me this?" I demanded, raising my voice at him.

Spade then struck me across the face, causing me to plummet to the ground. My eyes widened in shock. I've gained a few scowls from people around me but turned around like I didn't even exist. Hilton quickly came to my side and helped me up.

"Spade, she is a lady!" Hilton exclaimed through a clenched jaw. Spade scoffed and his eyes seemed to burn into Hilton—yet he held his ground against his father.

"'Lady' is the last word I would use to describe this rodent. Now if you would excuse me, I have business to attend to...the same exact business that you will no longer be apart of due to your childish behavior. Defending a lower life form such as her? Wasting your days drinking? Using my money to fulfill your undeserved vacation days? You're cut off, Hilton," Spade boomed.

Spade soon vanished into the crowd of people as Hilton slid against the wall behind him in utter disbelief. I sat beside him and rubbed his shoulder, attempting to soothe him, but I was never really that good at that. Hilton took another drink of wine and put his head in his hands.
"Y/N, will you get another drink for me?" Hilton requests while sighing. I instantly agreed and headed to get him another drink. I know this is a really bad coping mechanism for him but he really needs it at this moment, and I don't want him to have a temper tantrum about it.

As I pushed my way through the packed auditorium, my eyes locked onto a particular man. Time seemed to freeze as I clenched my dress. I could only see his side profile but he looked exactly like—like Liu. That's not possible...

"Liu?" I said to myself. As I got closer, my heart started beating harder into my chest. I started breaking out in a cold sweat, making my breaths heavy and uneven. His voice became more clear as I was now a few feet away from him. Once I laid my hand on his shoulder, trembling, he spun to reveal...not Liu. Definitely not Liu. I quickly retreated my hand as my face flushed in humiliation.