Chapter Sixteen: Prom

|| Chapter Sixteen ||
|| Words: 1644||
|| May 16th, 2020, Saturday ||

The tension in the air is something that I can't describe. I mean, I get that they shouldn't be buddy-buddy with each other just because they all have similar..." occupations", but still. We're almost to the province of Clubs and I'm physically shaking. We're near the private train station and it seems like it's only a 5-minute walk to the building, which is matte black with matching blackout windows, standing out in the sea of identical buildings of New York.

The train then came to a gradual stop and everyone on the train began gathering their belongings together. I stayed close to Jeff, holding my breath until everyone was out of the train. Otis was still lingering behind. I don't want to pass my judgments too quickly, though...
Stepping out of the train, we were met with a huge, vacant train station, populated with wealthy-looking people. The floor was a glossy marble and the walls were a dark maroon color with golden accents. Above us was a glowing chandelier, drooping down. The others were halfway across the room to exit the train station.

I looked up at Jeff, trying to spark up something to say, but nothing left my mouth. I bit my lip and hung my head down. Opening the doors, a sea of people populated the streets. I held on tightly to Jeff. I looked above me to see the cloudy, murky sky, seemingly ready to rain at any moment. I glanced around the crowd and held my breath as I saw something familiar. I stopped in my tracks and pulled my arm away from Jeff. No way...

"Y/N, we gotta go," Jeff said behind me. I turned to him and nodded.

"Sorry, I thought I...it's nothing," I muttered. I tried to keep my eyes straight but I keep on seeing flashes of Liu. He has a pretty generic look, though, I need to be rational. I can't keep trying to look for Liu, he's gone.
I slipped my hand back into Jeff's embrace and kept my head down. He's not here.

I felt a few raindrops start to drop on my face. I looked at Jeff who just pulled me closer and started to walk faster. Ahead of us was the black building, the province of clubs.
Passing by people, I started to zone out. I think Jeff had said something to me, so I nodded, but I still haven't gotten in touch with reality yet. I'm in New York and this has always been on my Bucketlist, but it just doesn't feel right to me. So much has happened in such little time.

Without me knowing, we were already in front of the building. We had caught up to the others who were waiting for us at the entrance. Toby had given the security a piece of paper and with a small chuckle, he let us inside. The floors are a glittery, black tile and the walls are completely matte black. The light of the fish tanks was the main light source, which surprisingly illuminated the room nicely. I'm assuming this is the commons since there are quite a few people quietly talking among themselves, drinking socially.

"Welcome," a soft-spoken woman smiled, walking towards us, "Clara Blackwood, Queen of Spades, is in her suite. Follow me."
I pulled on Hilton's blazer again since it seems to be colder in here than it was outside. Jeff looked down at me and rolled his eyes with a grimace.

"Seriously?" He muttered.

"It's cold."

Jeff stayed silent and looked back at Hilton with a not-so-subtle glare.
"I have a jacket," mumbled Jeff, his eyebrows slightly furrowed as his grip on my hand tightened a bit. My face reddened a little. I tend to forget how much he cares about me, even when he tries to hide it.

The woman, who's walking beside us, smiled at me.
"So...," I started off awkwardly, "what do you do here?"

"Well, we manage multiple facilities, but they all tend to be related to profitable organizations. Most notably, FBI field offices due to the Director being a direct descendent of the Club family, 8 of clubs I believe," the woman responds.