Chapter Thirteen: Family Business

|| Chapter Thirteen ||
|| Words: 1610||
|| May 15th, 2020, Friday ||

The universe keeps on drawing wild cards on me. Hilton's spoiled ass got a private train for a one way ticket to New York, which is great for all of us. At least I don't have to hear Jeff's whining in the car. It takes two more days until we get there, so I'm stuck on a train with Hilton, Jeff, and surprisingly Hilton's sister, Adele, a 25 year old runway model and influencer.
I expected her to essentially be the girl version of Hilton, but that's where I was totally wrong. She's amazing, I mean, she's beautiful, smart, and funny...Liu would like her. Other than their total opposite personality, she looks nothing like Hilton, but like she stepped right off the cover of Vogue: platinum curly blonde hair, narrow nose, and sharp hazel eyes that seem to reach down into your soul every time she glances at you. And it's no surprise that Adele and Jeff despise each other.

I stared at the midwestern fields passing by the window, with Adele, who's sitting parallel to me, doing the same. Jeff was at the table next to me speaking with Hilton.
"I passed these fields multiple times," Adele starts, "but never did I think that I would be here with you and Hilton. Oh, right, and whatever his name is."

Adele smiled to herself, knowing that Jeff is visibly frustrated with her. Her long nails tapping on the marble table echoing throughout the train. My eyes caught a glimpse of her bracelet: a thin gold bracelet that has 4 small charms on the front, resembling the suits of cards.
"What's with the whole suits thing?" I inquired, lifting up an eyebrow.

"It used to be a secret elitist society, starting way back in the UK I believe. Four close families identified themselves by a deck of cards, which became incredibly useful during the probation era for speakeasies. The original family's are the ones always in power: Hawthorne as Spades, St.Clair as Diamonds, Blackwood as Clubs, and Remington as Hearts. Hilton and I are kinda different, since our mother and father are both heads of different suits. Technically, we're the successors of Spades and Diamonds," Adele explained.

Woah, I didn't think this was that...I don't know, I didn't think that there was any real meaning to it. So that lady that were going to, she must be a big deal.

"Just sounds like some rich kids trying to seem more important than they actually are," Jeff muttered.
Adele narrowed her eyes at him and stood up from her seat, slamming her hand on the table.

"So you're suggesting for me to be like you, Jeffery? Surely I should take notes from the man himself. Let me remember your sloppy work, oh right! You failed killing your first victim which led him to work for the FBI, putting a giant target on your shoulder. You failed by keeping Y/N alive, which is a big risk you're taking. You failed making a name for yourself, Jeff, you're old news. You're just another criminal. You failed getting the respect that you somehow think you deserve. Do you know why I think I'm 'so important'? Take notes from the woman who actually knows what she's doing. Let me tell you everything I achieved that you failed at: my first victim was fed to the pigs so there's no evidence, I have trillions of hush money that I got by myself, my name is plastered on big money magazines and articles, and I have respect by the people and by all suits of families. I could name all of my other achievements but I must humble myself," Adele smiled, keeping eye contact with Jeff for a good moment before sitting down like nothing had happened.

"I honestly don't know what you see in him. Is it a Joker complex that you like? Go to a circus, there's plenty of clowns like him," Adele smirks, taking a sip of her champagne. I laughed a little, taking a glance at a red faced Jeff next to me.
I wouldn't tell her this, only because she wouldn't get it, but I do love him. I don't know why the universe fucked me over and made me fall head over heels for him, but I can't pretend that I don't have feelings for him. I believe that everyone has a soulmate, but I tend to forget that serial killers have them too. Years hoping that mine is this sparkling vampire only to be faced with Jeff...I say it's an upgrade. Though they do share their creepy obsession complex.

"What is she like, the lady of clubs, I mean," I ask, trying to keep Jeff off my mind. Hilton then left the table right as I said the word 'clubs'. Adele was quiet, waiting him to completely be out of earshot.

"She's like my father, you know, if father crawled out of Hell. She's ruthless, punishing anyone who got in her way. For a while, Hilton stayed with her while on a business trip with father, and he hasn't come out quite right since then. Don't get me wrong, father had given Hilton punishments for this and that, but he's been relatively fine. With Lady Blackwood, I'm not sure what he had to go through. I'm still nervous every time I see cameras. On the bright side, I trip on my medications," laughs Adele, spacing out a bit.

"I'm sorry for all of the questions...but, I do have one more: I went to this party of some sort, with that barbaric fighting, and there was a girl there named Cassie. Um...do you know who she is—or rather, was," I asked, seeing Jeff perk up a little at the mention of her.

Adele sat uncomfortably at the topic and drank the last of the Champaign in her class and continued to drink the bottle next to her, which she smeared her red lipstick.
"Right, Cassie, I knew her well since I practically grew up with her. We were never supposed to meet but when you have hush money for the servants, anything's possible. I'm not sure what impression you got from her but she's a good person, just complicated. All she wanted was validation from father, who could blame her? That's what Hilton and I ever wanted, you know, until I discovered how much happiness money can buy," Adele chuckled to herself, "if I could cheat death, I would, Y/N, I would do it in a heartbeat. She shouldn't have died, she actually had something. Now I'm breathing the same air as her killer."

"I tried to save her, Adele," Jeff said quietly, but Adele ignored him completely.

Adele wiped her years and excused herself, leaving Jeff and I alone. His face was struck with remorse. I wonder if this is what I looked like to him when he told me Liu was dead. I must've looked pretty pathetic, then. I wish I could ask him how it felt, to see if he could feel the same pain as I had felt. Imagine telling someone that their best friend since the third grade had died, shit hurts. I suppose I should be empathetic, Liu isn't actually dead and Cassie is.
I sat beside him and brought his head to my shoulder, petting his hair, letting him to be vulnerable. As much as I resent him of what he did, I know that I needed this when I was going through it. I slipped my hand into this and leaned my head back, closing my eyes.

"What happens after we get to New York?" I say, my voice quiet.

"Well, I get I contact with some old friends," Jeff responded sleepily.

"And after?"

"We complete unfinished business."

"...and after that?"

"Well, I use the money for an apartment for us."

"And after you get an apartment?"

"Then we live our lives."

I felt a tear go down my cheeks. I can't exactly live my life anymore. My goal was to go to UCLA, the opposite side of the country, and to get an art degree. Now what am I going to be wasting my time on? Working a minimum wage job, afraid every second that someone will find out who Jeff is? I need to think realistic about things.

"Yeah, live our lives," I repeated. I don't know why I was expecting something different, I guess the thrill of everything going on had blinded me. I don't want to live in constant inconsistency, wondering what wild card the universe will fuck me over with. This sounds boring, but I do want to settle down someday and Jeff just isn't the right guy for that. Liu is.

Adele and Hilton came back and stood in front of us.

"We have new guests arriving at next stop, so be good, please. It's our aunt, the Queen of Diamonds, and a close friend, the Jack of Hearts," Adele announces.

"My god, stop being so prestigious. Their names are Ivani St.Clair and Nikolas Remington, the younger brother of Percy...who I had killed. Refer to them as Lady St.Clair and Lord Remington. Refer to us as Lady and Lord as well, when you want to reference our name, as we are direct successors," Hilton says.

"You want Y/N to call you 'Lord'? Pervert," Jeff muttered with a smirk. I elbowed his side.

If there's anything to say in this situation, it would all be perfectly summed up in five words, 7 syllables, and 22 characters.

I fucking hate rich people.