Chapter Seventeen: Closure

|| Chapter Seventeen ||
|| Words: 1425||
|| May 16th, 2020, Saturday ||

I think this is it. I think I finally got closure. I know, it's a stupid dance in a broken elevator, with equally broken people, but I think I got closure with Liu. I'm not angry at Liu anymore. I accepted my place in the universe.
The elevator made an unusual noise and the elevator finally went up to the twelfth floor. The doors opened to face everyone gathering around the elevator with a maintenance crew. In front of us is Clara Blackwood. She looks like a walking corpse in high heels: grey-ish wrinkly skin, long white hair, and exhausted eyes that seem not to blink. Her tight lips, with messily red lipstick, twisted into a smile.

"Great," her shaky voice echoed, "now everyone is together, follow me."

Clara led us down a hallway to a room, which oversees New York City. She turned around and waited until all of us were in the room. She snapped her boney fingers and a silent, tense moment emerged as the door creaked open. My breathing intensified as a figure with a dark cloak emerged slowly and came to Clara's side. The person seemingly is a female, judging by body shape.
"I would like you to meet a newly converted member. She used to be apart of...Spade's province, but now she's in better hands," the woman smiles, which makes me feel anxious.

The person in the dark cloak pulled down the hood and as soon as she did, Jeff backed up a bit with his face full of shock. I peered closer and put my hand over my mouth. No...fucking...way.
"Meet Cassie," Clara grins, pushing her closer to us. She looks the same, Cassie, I mean. I thought she died...

Her eyes flicked up to Jeff and, with a sharp glance at me, she smiled at him.
"It's been a while, hasn't it?" Cassie inquires, taking another step closer. Is she purposely not acknowledging me? Listen, I'm not as obsessive and jealous as Jeff, but she's getting on my nerves.

"You're...alive," Jeff managed to say. I narrowed my eyes at her but I ultimately relaxed my face to play nice.

"I'm Y/N," I stated, forcing an unnatural grin. She slyly rolled her eyes and faced me.

"Right...the girl with special treatment, I've heard of you," Cassie utters dryly.

"What? I don't-."

I was cut off by the snaps of Clara, who was signaling Cassie to her side. I shook off Jeff's arm around me and folded my arms across my chest.
"As I was saying, this is Cassie, as some of you may know. She is my successor for the Clubs province, so do be respectful," Clara says, her voice raspy from raising her voice a bit.

Hilton coughed and extended his hand for her to shake: "Uh...Hilton, Hilton Hawthorne. I'm technically the King of Diamonds now."
Cassie nudges his hand away and looked Hilton up and down. Clara had an amused grin plastered on her wrinkly face and hunched on her chair in front of us.

"Cassie, give them a tour," Clara orders, waving her off. Cassie turned her face a bit towards my direction to give me a side glance.

With a tight-lipped smile, she said: "Of course. Follow me."
Cassie directed us out of the room and walked down the corridor.

"This hallway is full of rooms that are designated to high ranked employees—such as FBI investigators, analysts, and forensic accountants," sighs Cassie.
I looked up at Jeff who was still gazing at Cassie. Folding my arms, I scoffed a bit. He might as well take a picture of her. She then walked down the hallway and looked to her left where another hallway was.

"This leads to the suite commons, which holds the pool, the private club, and the meeting room," Cassie says, walking in front of us. Jeff left my side to catch up to her, leaving me behind.
He started up a conversation with her that I couldn't hear besides small segments of it. He seems to be asking her about the arena, which I'm the least surprised about.

I then felt a delicate hand rest on my shoulder. Out of habit, I tensed up and stood in panic, while everyone passed me by. Tim peered back at me with apparent concern but Brian nudged him ahead. Clenching my fists, I turned around a bit to see Otis. I don't know if I should be relieved or not...
"Sorry, you looked like a lost puppy after your boyfriend abandoned you," Otis chuckled, his hair moving over his face as he tilted his head.

"He didn't abandon me," I quickly asserted, my face glowing red a little. He crouched down to my height and ruffled my hair.

"Of course you should defend your honor, but I'm just confessing what I see. That Cassie girl...she's new, thrilling, and ready to take risks," Otis smirks.

"What are you saying?" I scoffed.

"I'm saying that she's everything you're not. I've seen the way he looks at you and I've seen the way he looks at her. So why wait for the inevitable?" Otis chuckles deeply. I looked around us only to see the vacant hallway, meaning I completely alone with him. Every step he took towards me, I took two steps back, until I was cornered into a wall.

"I don't want to sound...intrusive, but I've heard your conversations on the train with Jeff. Your art connections? I can help you with art and everything. I can show you how I do my art 'style'," Otis explains to me, barely even above a whisper.

"What do you want in return?" I asked, preparing for the worst. I shut my eyes as I felt his face grow closer to mine.

"I want," Otis begins, his inconsistent breaths tickling my neck, "you to lighten up and have fun. Both of you are so serious sometimes."

I squinted my eyes with doubt.

"Did I scare you?" Otis laughs, backing up, "Good, I'm tired of you looking so miserable. C'mon, let's catch up to the rest."

Right as we started walking, Jeff promptly whirled around the corner and nearly bumped into us.
"Think about my offer," Otis tells me with a wink, obviously doing this only because Jeff is here. As he was striding past Jeff, he whispered something in his ear before stuffing his hands in his pockets and continued walking off.

I slowly walked towards Jeff, feeling his stare burn through me and as I was close enough, he jerked me by my collar. Trembling, I attempted to fight back but he put me against the wall, his forearm settling against my neck.
"Are you that stupid, Y/N? These people aren't your friends or your little crushes, they're insane. Don't you ever let yourself be in that situation, or in any situation that doesn't involve me," Jeff quickly asserted, his eyes narrowing at me. Staring at his eyes in fear, there's no humanity in them, just pure chaos and hostility.

"I'm sorry...," I croaked out, as tears threatened to spill.

Jeff looked like he was about to yell at me again, but he stayed silent and let me go.
"You're sorry for what? Don't act like a little kid, tell me exactly what you're so sorry for," Jeff demands in a low voice.

"I'm sorry that I'm not Cassie," I admitted.

His eyes widened a bit but didn't say a word to me regarding Cassie. He mutters something underneath his breath and remained silent until we finally reached the group. Cassie looked back and smirked as she saw Jeff but it faded as she saw me, which that smirk was replaced by a grimace.
I really am miserable that I'm not Cassie. He would be happier with someone like her, and I'm not saying this to victimize myself, there's been enough of that.

We then went down the stairs, as we didn't trust the elevator to guide us safely. The sounds of our footsteps echoed through the unsettling, deserted spiral staircase. Cassie's voice echoed as well while she was chatting with Toby.
We eventually came to the floor beneath the suite.

"Okay, Clara isn't watching me anymore, so feel free to do a tour by yourself. I'm going to go, so be good," Cassie smirks, taking out a cigarette while walking away from us. Jeff looked as she left but kept his eyes down.

Otis was right.