Chapter Seven: Anguish

A/N: Happy Holidays :)

|| Chapter Seven ||
|| Words: 1504 ||
|| April 29th, 2020, Wednesday ||

|| Y/N's POV ||

I was ripped out of my train of thought when someone snapped in front of my face. My reaction was delayed but I eventually brought my puffy eyes, from my endless sobbing episode, to the person standing above me. It's been two—no, maybe three days? It's hard to keep track when every waking thought is of Liu. His smile is ingrained into my brain, pulling my heartstrings with the endless memories of wholesome fun with him. My eyes focused on the person above me and I staggered back realizing who it is—Jeff.

"Get the hell away from me!" I yelled at him, backing up against the wall. Jeff didn't listen, crouching down to my height. He tightly grabbed my wrists to keep me still and trapped me in his gaze, which is strangely comforting in a threatening way. I felt a teardrop run down my cheek, thrashing around to get him away from me.

I stared at him, my attention completely devoted to the man I hate the most, right in front of me. My arms stop struggling against him and fell lifelessly to my sides. Jeff took a breath of relief and released my wrists.

"Just listen, just—just this once, okay? I know that you think I...I killed him, but it didn't happen like that. He was my brother, for fuck's sake. You can blame me for this but that won't bring Liu back," Jeff lectures. Eyeing him with suspicion, I ultimately had a wave of sympathy rush over my body like chills.
Seriously, Y/N? You know better. He—He kills people, why would Liu be an exception? Damn it, I feel like I'm going to do something really stupid in a moment.

"I don't blame you, at least anymore," I managed to say, coming out as a whisper. Yeah, that was the stupid thing.

Jeff looked up at me, tilting his head slightly with a small smile, his black hair falling over his eyes. He sat by me which made me tense up to the maximum, but I allowed his presence here. Maybe we aren't as different as I had originally thought—just maybe we could actually be friends. You know, until I can actually get the hell out of here, of course. I'm not exactly here to make friends...I have my own at home. My real home, not this dingy ass bar. Although it seems quiet now, I feel like this is the beginning of a long term mistake. The smell of black coffee and cigarette was stained into his sweatshirt, tempting me to drift off to sleep.

My eyes opened slightly from my dreamless slumber and I felt leaned against Jeff. I know exactly what I'm doing but I'm not sure if I want to stop it. I know Jeff isn't anything close to Liu but their vague similarities give me comfort for this painful grief. Maybe if I pretend he's Liu, then it won't hurt as bad. The reason Jeff wants peaceful relations with me is a mystery, however. I heard the door slightly creak open so I quickly shut my eyes to pretend I was sleeping.

"Jeff, what the hell?" Tim says roughly, "you fucking creep."

I felt the vibrations of Jeff's low chuckle, sending warmth to my cheeks. Tim...it's sweet for him worrying for me, but I'm not a child anymore. I heard Tim's footsteps grow louder until I sensed him above us.

"You get one step closer and I'll blow your balls off," Jeff threatened with a smirk. My face went pale as I heard Jeff's gun load, echoing throughout the small room.

"She's a kid, Jeff, no older than 17. She's so blatantly naive of you profiting off of her grief while you—I don't even know what you're doing, for the sake of control? I know she's awake so I'll just say this: once I decide to put that mask on again, it will be to kill you," Tim spat, slamming the door on his way out.

His words lingered in my mind, leaving an ominous tone settling into the room. What mask? I opened my eyes and glanced up at Jeff who's tense shoulders lifted my head up slightly. He stood up and pulled me to my feet, pulling me out of the backroom to the bar. Tim was talking to Brian and immediately looked up when he saw me. Jeff kept on walking, pushing by Tim.

"Where are you going?" Tim asked. Jeff chuckled and stopped in his tracks.

"Oh, Masky, if you want to know so badly then kill me," Jeff patronized, pushing me out the door with Jeff following closely behind.
It seems like Jeff is anxious that I'll be reasonable enough to run off again so he watched me get in the car and locked me in while he got into the driver's seat. My head leaned against the window, taking a breath of utter disbelief that I'm back in this damn car again.

Also, his damned outbursts of laughter are getting on my last nerve—like I'm ready to burst at any moment. I looked out the window, thinking about Liu again. What would he say at this moment? Well, Liu would probably scold me for taking comfort in Jeff for the sake of being close to him. I can't help it, Jeff's eyes are the same as Liu's.

"Where are we going?" I yawned. I looked out the window and saw a tree plunge in the middle of the road. It was like in slow motion, Jeff's eyes dilated and tried to stop the car. I felt my body collide with the glass and the feeling of being thrown out the window.

I felt a burning sensation from the grass skidding against my skin. I weakly pushed myself off of the ground and saw the car smashed against the huge tree. Trees just don't fall like that out of the ordinary...
I hesitantly scampered closer to the car to discover Jeff unconscious in the front seat. I ran over to him and felt his neck for a pulse, which thankfully was still there. I glanced at him then back at the vacant road in front of me. I could run away to the nearest town...I could even find the police. However, I can't abandon Liu—I mean...Jeff.

|| Liu's POV ||

"I thought you died."

I sneered at Toby and slumped over the bar counter. Died? Why would they reckon that I died?

"Shut up Toby, nobody asked you. Tim, good to see you...where's Jeff?" I inquired of Tim who was on his fifth shot of alcohol. I peered at the counter to see decapitated hands with a pile of wedding rings next to them.

"Easy, Liu...you look like you're going to collapse at any second now. Jeff's going to finish the business here, after that I think he's out of Vegas," explained Tim while he put his head in his hands.

Everything seems fuzzy after Sully took over the first time since mom and dad died, and I've been fighting to keep him contained ever since then. When he's in control it's like Jeff is taking over, responsible for every waking thought I have. I can't get rid of him. As much as I hate Sully, him taking control is a good distraction from Y/N's death.

"Is that all I am to you? A distraction? You're so cruel to me, Liu," Sully's voice mocked in my mind, bursting into laughter. Damn it.

I glared behind me to see Sully—only a figure of my imagination, but nonetheless still an asshole. He looked like a mirror image of myself yet his eyes were completely black. He stood there grinning, less than a couple inches away from me.

Sully then disappeared, yet shortly after I felt him forcefully taking my consciousness from me. It felt like I was choking on thick blood. Dropping to the floor, I tried to get him out with every ounce of strength I had left.
My head was forced up by a presence above me. I choked as I saw Y/N—she had a stabbing wound in her neck. No...she's not real, damn you, Sully. She roughly pulled me to my feet and jerked me to her, feeling her warmth against my trembling body.

"Please, Liu...just stop fighting him and we can be together. What, are you going to do, choose him over me?" Y/N whispered in my ear.

I clung onto her tightly, sobbing onto her shoulder. Sully even got her scent right: homemade soap and a smoky French café. At that point, I felt Sully fully take control of me yet I still hugged her tighter and tighter. I know this isn't real, that she's just a figment of my imagination, but getting to see her is more important to me than having control.