Chapter Three: Vengeance in Vegas

|| Chapter Three ||
|| Words: 1024||
|| April 25th, 2020, Saturday ||

My eyes fluttered open, feeling curled up against a chair. I stretched my sore arms and glanced towards Liu, who was sitting on the floor and gazing out the window with a cigarette accompanying him. Even in this dim light that the moon provides, I could see the distress present in his features. His eyebrows furrowed while his lip tugged into a scowl in between his cigarette rounds.

I walked towards Liu, sitting on the ground across from him. After blowing out a cloud of smoke, his face turns towards mine with a sweet smile. Tension started to build up from the agonizing silence between us until I decided to say something.

"What happens now?" I inquired, coming out as a whisper.

"I accepted a mission in Vegas since Jeff's case was assigned to some of the more 'experienced' guys, which is a bunch of fucking bullshit. So, you can either come with me or stay," Liu explains, though his tone seemed like he yearned for me to come with him.

Looking down at my UCLA shirt, I looked away with a sigh. If this Vegas trip is going to be like the whole "Jeff the Killer" scenario, then I don't want in. I mean, I care for Liu, but I can't risk my scholarship from being associated with Liu's business. Liu laughed a little, putting the cigarette to his smiling lips.
"I know you need to stay, Y/N, just shooting my shot with going to Vegas with a beautiful girl," Liu smirked. My face flushed from the unexpected compliment before averting my eye from his.

"Liu...thank you for understanding, but I'm really frightened of what you do. That man nearly killed us both—how'd you even know him?" I asked.

Liu put out his cigarette and pushed back his brown hair in anguish.
"We...grew up together. He was like a brother to me," Liu softly confesses, biting his bottom lip and looked out the window. I scooted closer to him so my head could rest on his shoulder. I took his trembling hand into mine.

"We don't have to speak about it—hey, how about we talk about us in Vegas, huh? I have an entire summer until I have to go back in the fall, maybe I can go with you...," I reassured him, rubbing my thumb against his tense knuckles.
Liu nodded and squeezed my hand, though I felt the occasional teardrop against our hands. Lifting our heads to look at each other, Liu grinned at me. I could hear his low breathing getting louder as our faces got closer together. Closing my eyes, I felt his lips against mine. At first, it was a delicate graze but he soon became comfortable, caressing my cheek and kissing me more passionately, moving towards my neck.

The door then flew open with Quinn barely clenching her bleeding neck, Jeff standing behind her laughing. His crazed eyes fell onto us with a snarky smirk. Quinn eventually fell to the ground, suffocating on her own blood. Hearing my loud shrieking, Liu instantly drew a gun from his boot and held it a Jeff, not acknowledging Quinn—although it is not that much of a difference than when she wasn't choking on her own blood.

"Sorry, did I interrupt something?" Jeff snickered, kicking Quinn's lifeless body to the side.

Liu held the gun to Jeff's head. Jeff seemed to grin even wider before Liu pulled the trigger, yet no bullet came. There's...no bullets. There are no fucking bullets. Jeff licked the blood off of his knife, charging at Liu. Jeff was soon above Liu, putting a knife to his neck of which Liu was desperately trying to push it away from him. Liu then kicked Jeff off of him, standing up. Jeff was standing a mere 3 feet away from my vulnerable form while Liu was across the room. Jeff pulled me by the collar and held a knife to my neck, breathing harshly into my ear with the occasional laugh.
"Don't move," Jeff harshly threatened me.

"What do you want?" Liu growled.

"To play a game, a little 'Cat and Mouse', if you will. You catch me, I'll let her go. You don't catch me, I'll bash in her skull. But I really don't want to ruin this beautiful face," Jeff chuckled darkly, harshly grabbing my face, smearing blood on my cheek.
Glaring at Jeff, Liu approached us with clenched fists.

"If you hurt her, I swear to God I'll—."

"You'll what? Lie about my location again? Forget to put in bullets into your pussy of a gun? You won't do shit because you're the same scared little kid that shouldn't have survived," Jeff raised his voice, insanely laughing in between sentences. Jeff grabbed my hair, with the knife still to my throat, and forcefully put his mouth to mine while cackling. His tongue slid into my mouth, making my eyes widen. Still frozen in fear, I managed to move my hand to his chest and weakly try to push him off.

"See? She's in great hands," Jeff sneered sarcastically, placing the knife in his back pocket and rushing out the door while roughly dragging me along. I glanced back one last time to see Liu staring at me in disbelief, eyes shining with the tears in his eyes.

As we began running through the building, I could sense death. I was right. The building was quiet, with the lights flickering on and off occasionally like some horror movie. Bodies were lifelessly on the floor covered in their own blood, murdered ruthlessly with slit necks and the occasional slit faces to resemble a fucked up "smile". Jeff was cackling as he ran, yanking my arm even harder as we ran out of the building. Jeff shoved me in Liu's car with him quickly following, shoving the car keys (which I assumed he stole) into the keyhole and recklessly driving off. My chest rose and fell at rapid speed, positioning myself as far away from him as possible, trembling.

"You've ever been to Vegas?"