4 One Saved, One Lost

POV Elsa

“How have you been?” I whispered to Jack as he was walking in front of me. “What do you mean?” He responded and glanced behind a corner. “I mean that we haven’t seen actually in a while and you’ve seemed a bit distracted on the radio,” I said and then he hushed me.

I stopped behind of him and we listened. “False alarm,” he whispered and moved forward. “Jack,” I called him and placed my hand on his shoulder. He startled and turned to look at me. “Well, I’ve had to put down some of the zombies that are beyond rescue.. How would you feel? They were once people, you know,” he whispered sadly and I quickly embraced him. “I’m fine Els,” he whispered and hugged me back.

Then we were moving again. “What would be the best way inside?” He asked and looked at me. “Umm, perhaps from one deck above this one. There’s a shopping street when you go inside. It might be safer than entrances from this deck because now we would end up in cabin corridors,” I whispered and he nodded.

Jack run in front of me up the stairs and when I reached the upper deck he placed his arm in front of me. “What is it?” I asked from him and my finger was touching my guns trigger slightly. He nodded forward and pointed. It was so dark that I had hard time to see.

Then I gulped when I saw something banging a door leading inside. Someone run outside and just when I felt Jack grabbing my wrist I saw how a woman was followed by ten zombies. “We need to help her,” I screamed and then something groaned next to us.

Jack kicked a zombie down and slammed his knife on it’s head. Then he took his sniper rifle from his back and he aimed at the running woman. I heard Jack sighing loudly. I took a step forward and I was aiming at the zombies chasing her.

BANG!

I see how the lady fell down on the floor lifeless. “What did you do Jack!” I yelled and stare at him in misbelieve. He just shot her dead. Jack was kneeling on the floor but then he rose up calmly. “She was bitten,” he told me with blank voice and I gasped. “But!” I tried to argue but Jack just hummed.

“Save your ammo,” Jack said and he pressed my arms down when I aimed at the zombies that were before chasing the woman. Something clattered suddenly behind of us and we turn around, “Shizz,” Jack hissed as we were approached from two directions. Our only way out from being surrounded by those things was going back down from the stairs

Without saying anything we both run down. I had to use my gun when we reached the lower level. “They’re everywhere!” I gulped and shot a zombie approaching from front. Then Jack pulled me close to him and he swifts his staff behind of us and beheaded one zombie. “This is bad,” he whispered when zombies were coming down the stairs. Both ways on the lower deck were also being taken over by them.

Jack runs forward and looks over the railing, “This is the only way.” He said and glances at me. “You mean jumping to ocean in the middle of the night?” I gasped and raised my voice. He nodded and took a rope from the floor. He tied it around my waist and he pulled me close to him. “Trust in me,” he whispered and smiled. Then he kissed me when I climbed over the railing.

“Jack?”  I said with panic in my voice. He tied his weapons to his back and just when he was about to climb over I felt myself dropping. The rope had given away and Jack yelled my name.

The water felt so cold and it was dark. The black water masses surrounded me and the power of the moving water was enormous. I couldn’t swim to surface, I was just being dragged below the surface. I couldn’t breathe and my body was feeling so numb from the cold.

My eyes were getting shut but then I saw an arm coming below the water. I felt how I was being pulled back up and then the cool night air was touching my skin as a breeze. I gasped for air and I saw Jack, he was hanging from the rope and pulling me up. “Els!” He yelled and gritted his teeth.