5 Genius Minds

POV Elsa

The pain in my back woke me up. Slowly I opened up my eyes, blinking because some light was beaming from a narrow gap straight into my face. I lifted my hand to protect my eyes and I realize that it is morning already. “Jack,” I whispered and he hushed me.

“You’re awake?” I asked and he nodded his head. “I didn’t sleep,” he said quietly and smiled while something bumped into the life boats wall. He lifted his front finger to cover his mouth. He formed, ‘They’re out there,’ with his lips.

When I moved I realized that I was wearing a hoodie, his hoodie. I pinched the fabric and I saw Jack flashing a mischievous smirk that caused heat to rise in my cheeks. ‘You can keep it,’ he mouthed and winked his eye. He was wearing just a t-shirt and his pants.

‘We need to get out,’ I said quietly and he nodded his head slightly. They were searching their prey as we were hiding. Jack slowly crawled at the edge and lifted the cover fabric a little with his hand. He peeked out and looked around us.

Then Jack came back down and he knelt down making his way towards me. He brought his head next to me and started to whisper to my ear. “There’s now the daylight so we can get back inside the ship and find our friends. The plan is that we jump out, yeah sounds crazy but just do it,” he ordered me. Then he inhaled deeply, “Some way on the left is a door leading inside. Just a couple of feet and we will reach it. Just.. keep hitting those things and pushing them further away.”

Jack smiled and put his hand behind my neck, pressing his forehead against mine, “Just promise me. Keep yourself safe.” I nodded my head and he grinned before pressing his lips against mine. I closed my eyes and kissed him back. Who knows if this would be our last kiss.

“Time to go,” I whispered and petted his cheek. “On the count to three,” he smiled and squeezed my hand.

“One, two,” he whispered. “THREE!” He shouted and threw the cover away. I was already holding my hand gun ready and I shot one zombie with half eaten face with its cheek hanging like a chunk of flesh on small string. The hit blasted it’s head away since I shot from short distance.

Jack jumped to the deck from the lifeboat and helped me down. He turned around and kicked zombies head off from one that was in half and dragging its torso towards us. We were drawing too much attention towards us.

“Let’s go, NOW!” Jack cried and grapped my hand, he pulled me to left and I saw the door which he was speaking off.  I shot one zombie near the door and Jack ran forward letting go of my hand. He lifted his staff in front of him and yelled while he run into a zombie pack. He was pushing those things further away while they were snapping their jaws together and trying to reach him.

“Open the door,” Jack shouted and lifted his leg to press one zombie down. It was crawling on the floor and trying to bite his leg when he noticed it’s actions. I run to the door. I gulped when I saw it being covered in blood and in the inside there was a bloody dragged hand print. “Open it!” Jack yelled and sounded exhausted.

I bit my lower lip and with shaking hands I pull the handle. Nothing happened, absolutely nothing. I tried again, harder this time and even pulling. “Jack,” I said with my voice going high from panic. “Is it open?” Jack responded sounding like he had his hopes high up.

“It’s jammed,” I cried and tried to pull it again. “SHIT!” Jack yelled and sounded dissatisfied. With a loud groan he pushed with all his power, running forward and making the zombies fall down. Then he pulled his staff back from their hands and left the zombies to lay on the ground and trying to get up. I stayed there, in shock still and staring at the sight.