I

[Image: Lyric "Ric" SaberFang]

Lyricshuffled around her apartment as she readied herself for the packbonfire. Her twenty-first birthday had passed yesterday which meantMik could announce their mating finally. They had found each otherfour years ago and kept their relationship secret. He had promisedher that he would publicly claim her after she turned twenty one; hewas five years older and didn't want anyone to assume he was takingadvantage of her. Excitement bubbled in her stomach; her wolf wasthrilled to finally be able to Claim her mate.

Contentwith her appearance, she left her apartment and headed down the roadto the park. She could already see the glow from the fires in thedistance and hear the chatter of the attendees. She grinned and spedup.

Hourspassed as she socialized with pack members and searched for Mik. Noone had seen their Alpha or Beta since morning. Ric's instinctsscreamed that something was wrong, but no one else was concerned. Shetried to shrug off her instincts before they grew intoparanoia-levels of irrational worry.

Finally,Mik arrived with William - his beta - and an unknown she-wolf. Dreadpooled in Ric's guy when she saw how her mate held the she-wolf. Herinstincts boiled up more; her wolf's focused was seared on her mateand the strange she-wolf.

"WhiteFang,"he called out. "Tonight is a celebration! After severalnegotiations, I'd like you all to welcome Tabitha WhiteFang as yourLuna. Our mating ceremony will be on the next full moon!"

Thecheers of the pack were drowned out by a scream of pain. Everyoneshifted to look at the petite red-haired she-wolf who had collapsedto the ground. As she curled up on the dirt, she wailed as she felther mate bond shatter. The agony drove spikes into every part ofRic's body.

"Unfortunately,I have some bad news," Mik continued, raising his voice to beheard over Ric's cries. "Lyric is hereby exiled from White Fangon the charges of betraying the pack, attempting a forced Mating onthe alpha, and conspiracy to trap the alpha by means of pregnancy."Confused conversations broke out as the crowd moved away from the nowsilent female. The snapping of the pack ties left behind an icy chillthat froze her entire body; she felt as if she'd never be warm again.Ric struggled to her feet slowly before she lifted her chin and metMik's eyes. Cold fury blazed as she looked at the male who wassupposed to be her everything.

"Iaccept your rejection and ruling, Alpha WhiteFang. May I havepermission to take ten minutes to gather my possessions before Ileave your territory?" Her voice was strong, but her tone wasempty and robotic.

"BetaWilliam will escort you to gather your things and off pack lands,"he allowed. She dipped her head in a bow of acknowledgement beforeshe followed the Beta away. It took her less than her allotted timeto gather what few items she wanted to take. Will was silent duringthe entire process. She could smell the unease, regret, anger andother complicated emotions he felt.

Atthe border, Will glanced over. "I didn't know." Hiswhispered confession floated in the still air. Ric turned her glacialgaze to him.

"Itdoesn't matter. He made his Choice. I hope the Luna brings your packpeace and prosperity," she answered formally. Will stood insidethe border and watched his best friend disappear between the treeswith only a half-filled backpack of her most cherished items.

Note: Thoughts? Comments? This is just a new idea I came up with.

[Edited 5/17/22]