IV

[Image: Dallas "Cowboy" Royal]
::Lyric::

"More packs have been attacked," Baine announced. "They're all small packs, allies of bigger packs. There isn't a pattern to them, but it's almost like trying to knock out the legs of a chair. The little packs help support the bigger pack and they protect them in return."

"The ultimate goal is probably to take over all these larger packs," Ric muttered absentmindedly. "Take out their support, harass their borders to take down their warrior numbers, and then Challenge the alpha." Baine looked at his alpha in surprise.

"How can you know what they'll do?" he asked. None of the intelligence he gathered had hinted at a plan; how could she know what their plans were?

"It's logic," she reported, hurt from feeling his distrust. "How do you topple a building, or knock down anything? You take out the supports. Bear, babe, we've been partners for six years now - do you honestly think I would, or could, pull something like this?"

Baine was the only person she trusted, and it had taken him almost four years to gain it. They had formed a bond out of necessity to prevent turning Feral - Baine as a MateLess and Ric as a packless Reject. Her history in her old pack, even before the rejection, wasn't a happy one, and that night had destroyed her ability to trust.

"Ric, I'm sorry. We both have our scars; they don't go away. It isn't you, personally; it just threw me off that you figured out what our intelligence couldn't find any proof of. I forget how your brain works sometimes," he apologized.

She accepted his apology; she knew she was different than a typical wolf. Instead of thinking from Point A to Point B, she normally went from A to X. Her mother used to say she could dominate the world before anyone even realized she'd taken over. But the tiny she-wolf had no aspirations to rule the world; she was content to just take care of her wolves.

"Are there any reports to or from the Royals?" she asked.

"They know about the decimated packs, but the alphas have been too proud to ask for aide. Their pride is how these rogues will succeed." Baine snorted. "There have been whispers that the cowboy prince is out traveling the packs, but I haven't confirmed. The rumor is it is the Royals unofficial response to the rogue threat."

"Have we had any sightings or threats from these rogues?" Ric wondered. They weren't so far from packs that they weren't at risk, even if they were rogues themselves.

"Nothing so far," he answered. "It has my fur up; we are within striking distance of that last pack. Though, the attacks haven't been back-to-back. I think the only thing that will save us is that we still all scent as rogue."

"Same," Ric agreed. "I want our patrols doubled. If anyone hears a cry for help from a pack, we're going in. These rogues are a huge threat to us. Maybe more than the packs; they'll assume any rogue is part of the attacks. We need to be on our toes."

"I'm on it," Baine promised. "I'll see you for dinner." He pressed a swift kiss to her forehead before he headed to the barracks.