X

::Grey Claw Pack::

"So, what should we do?" Draven asked. "That's a big conspiracy, if that's the truth of what's going on. I still don't see why we're the targets, either. What wolf voluntarily mates with a MateLess if they have a chance with their TrueMate?"

Ric flinched before she could cover the hurt. Even six years later, her rejection still stung. She cared for Baine and Nix - more than she was ready to admit, still - so Draven's comment was doubly painful. They knew how she felt; she didn't hide it from the Bond.

"Rude, Dray," Dallas commented. "Ric, Baine, and Nix have a Bond. I feel the urge to make an entirely inappropriate joke."

"When have you ever not?" Nix grunted as he looked at Ric. He pushed warmth and comfort through the bond and got a small smile in return.

"Well, Nix, since you asked... It seems like Ric, here, is starting a collection of MateLess. Gotta catch 'em all!" Dallas teased. Ric started to giggle before she dissolved into a full belly laugh.

Draven saw the shock on Baine and Nix's faces as they stared at Ric. "What?" he asked them.

"She hasn't laughed in the six years I've known her," Baine mumbled. Nix nodded. "She tries to keep her emotions stuffed down, and be unfeeling, to avoid the pain."

"Well, maybe you two just aren't funny enough," Dallas quipped. That sent Ric into another round of laughter.

"If I truly were collecting MateLess, I'd have already added to my harem," Ric giggled once she finally calmed down. "There are a lot of MateLess in my pack, but they've paired with other rejected wolves. It keeps them all stable, avoids turning feral, and it's a layer of protection that no one thought of. You MateLess are berserkers when you're defending a threat to what you see as yours."

"Ric, you might be oversharing again," Baine said. Ric glared at him.

"They need to know this," she insisted. "We can't keep info to ourselves if we all want to survive. Whoever is behind this most likely didn't expect us to work together. That gives us an advantage."

"She's right," Nix added. "You're being protective, Baine, as always. It's a good thing. But, remember our little ghost here sees things we don't."

"We need to get back to our den," the she-wolf stated. "We're only a howl away. Or, an hour's run west. Those rogues went out of their way to avoid attacking us."

After goodbyes, hugs and handshakes, the Rogue trio left Draven and Dallas to think. Draven knew his betas, Ry and Rick, were getting his pack settled back in their homes again.

"She is the type of female wars are fought over," Dallas muttered.

"What?"

"She's brilliant. Beautiful. She stood up to four MateLess wolves and didn't flinch even though she's half our size. She led her pack into a battle against rogues to aid a Pack she knew could attack her in thanks. Plus, she laughed at my joke." Dallas shrugged. "I would burn the entire forest, kill any wolf I had to, just to keep a wolf like that."

"Yeah," Draven agreed. "My wolf was riding me hard since we saw her to take her. It's been a long time since we've butted heads like that. He's been content with the orphans for years."

They lapsed into silence as their thoughts focused on the tiny she-wolf who had come in and taken over like a tiny tornado. She had somehow managed to tame all their wolves, too, an impossible feat since they were MateLess.