Ch. 17

The only sound in the room was the clicking of Todoroki's pen while everyone was finishing a test. It was an unusually normal day on that one day. There was no commotion about Midoriya, and nobody was arguing with each other.

Of course, the pen clicking only got louder as Todoroki stared out the window, watching the pale white sky. In his mind, he wanted to know everything that has been happening around the school. He didn't know about most of the drama going on, although he did know about his best friends attempted suicide. School was almost over, and Todoroki felt like he needed to visit his friend at the hospital. For some reason, even if he wasn't awake, he felt like every time he went there and talked o him in the bed it was like he was talking to an actual person. The aura around Midoriya felt strong around him. It was like he felt a strong, growing connection between both of them.

CLANK—CLATTER

The pen he was furiously clicking had exploded and got sent flying across the floor, ink staining parts of Todoroki's sleeve and desk with parts of broken pen on the floor. The ink cartridge was splattered near Yaoyorozu's desk, broken and deformed after the amount of damage done to it. Todoroki realized he might have accidentally activated his quirk which caused the pen to explode. He quickly froze the ink on his desk and the floor over, going over to Yaoyorozu's desk and picking up the frozen ink to make sure it didn't leave a permanent stain on the floor. He repeated the steps with his desk and got the bits of broken pen after, most of the pen nowhere to be found. After a while, he casually sat back down while others were still looking at him; wondering what could have affected the most calm person in the classroom to behave that way during a test. The teacher didn't seem to care, though.

Something else seemed to be bothering him, but he didn't know what. He tried to close his eyes and think for a couple of seconds, but he interrupted himself for being foolish. His heart was racing for some unknown reason, and his mind could not think straight at the moment. He saw Yaoyorozu looking at him from the corner of his eye, but dismissed it from the incident that just happened. All he felt was pain and sorrow. He felt sorry for himself; that was a first definitely. But most importantly, he felt sorry for the others around him. He felt sorry for Midoriya because of how he was pressured so much that he commit suicide. He did feel a bit sorry for Bakugou because it was extremely obvious that he regretted what he did to Midoriya. Everyone could hear him sobbing himself to sleep because the dorm walls were pretty thin. He also felt slightly sorry for everyone else in the class. Although it was not apparent, everyone did care for Midoriya. Often they would talk about it and visit him in the hospital, leaving small gifts for him like an All Might figure on his bed side stand. Todoroki knew that many people cared even though they didn't know exactly how to express it.

For the longest time, he had a small hunch that Bakugou had a crush on Midoriya. Even though Bakugou would not make this obvious, Todoroki could see it easily. The only reason behind his harsh words and bullying was to get closer to him and so that Bakugou could have a reason to be close to him that wasn't showing affection. Todoroki knew because he did that as well once before; at the sports festival when he brought Midoriya aside and 'threatened' him. Todoroki soon enough realized that this was a terrible way of expressing care for someone, so he just resorted to becoming close friends with him. It turned out to be a much better way of getting close to someone, but Bakugou didn't seem to notice this. He continued resorting to violence, worsening his and Midoriya's relationship by every single word that came out of his Tsundere mouth.

Todoroki got extremely surprised on that morning when a Bakugou came knot the classroom holding Kirishima's hand. He knew that he didn't move on so quickly, but he would never replace Midoriya with someone else. Todoroki felt a bit sad every time he thought of that moment; Kirishima smiling so widely while gripping onto Bakugou's hand. Bakugou's face did look annoyed, but he also looked like he enjoyed seeing the smile on Kirishima's face.

Todoroki chuckled a bit to himself, sounding louder than it should have because the room was still so quiet. A couple more glances were sent in Todoroki's direction, but he couldn't care less.

This was his new opening.

He had a new chance to win Midoriya's heart.