One of a kind

Daan POV
I had just come out of the shower when I heard Beth yell my name from down the stairs. Without thinking I just walked down the stairs, only wearing a towel. When Beth saw me she quickly wanted to say something but she already was too late. There he was, Luke, my ex-boyfriend, who I hadn't seen in months, standing in my living room. He looked at me with an open mouth, staring at my body. It made me really uncomfortable, but I didn't want him to know that. "Hey earth to Luke, you know staring is rude right?!" He turned into a tomato straight away "Uhm sorry, I uh, I just didn't expect you to uh" He awkwardly moved his hand behind his neck, I frowned my eyebrow "What?" He was completely off-guard now "Well I didn't know you answered the door dressed like uhh, well this." I chuckled "I didn't, Beff did and she didn't mention you standing in my living room." Beth turned my way "Yeah, sorry about that. It wasn't the smartest thing to do. Well go get dressed while I give the guy a coffee." I nodded and went upstairs.

When I got back about 5 minutes later, wearing a comfortable hoody and training pants, I saw Beth and Luke awkwardly sitting in front of each other, not saying a word. They both looked up, relieved, when I got downstairs. "I'll leave you two be now." And Beth quickly stood up and walked away. I sat down on the sofa in front of Luke.
D: "Why are you here?"
L: "I just wanted to check up on you, so we could maybe talk?"
D: "Yeah, let's talk. Explain to me where the hell you were, when we were supposed to be in Thailand together?!"
L: "I uhm, work came up."
D: "You could've at least called"
L: "I know, I was an idiot. I don't know why I didn't call."
D: "So you just stood me up?
L: "I did"
D: "WE WERE IN A RELATIONSHIP FOR 3 YEARS AND YOU JUST STOOD ME UP?!!"
L: "I'm so sorry monkey, I was way too focused on my work. I took you for granted and I shouldn't have. I'm so sorry."
D: "Well I guess everyone makes mistakes, I am no sinner either."
L: "I just wanted you to know that I'm going to work in London from now on, at a company that designs furniture."
D: "Luke, that's amazing."
L: "Yeah, I'm pretty excited to get started. It's like a dream job."
D: "I'm so happy for you."
L: "So how's life been here?"
D: "It's been pretty good actually, I love the team, we play good football, the city still is really beautiful, so yeah pretty good."
L: "And that friend of yours, who is she? I haven't seen her before"
D: "Oh that's Beff, she transferred her a few months ago, she's a sweet girl."
L: "Good, I'm glad that everything is going alright. But let's skip the small talk; how have you been holding up after the accident?"
D: "At first I was miserable and you weren't there to comfort me either. But then Beff came to live here and we actually get on really well, so my miserableness got less."
L: "It's good to hear you've found a friend who can help you and makes you feel better. Sorry again for me not being there when you needed me."

I slowly felt a tear rolling down my cheek "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cry. It's just a lot." He stood up and went to sit besides me "Don't you dare saying sorry for crying, you've every right. I was a jerk and left you when you needed me." He pulled in for a hug and we just sat there for a while before he eventually pulled back. I saw Beth standing in the kitchen, she just stared at me and quickly ran upstairs. "Shall we continue this conversation tomorrow? Let's get some lunch and we can talk all about life." I suggested, Luke nodded and we walked towards the door. He grabbed his coat and gave me a kiss on the cheek. "So you tomorrow monkey" I chuckled "See you tomorrow." I closed the door and quickly ran upstairs.

I knocked on the door of my bedroom, no answer. I opened the door and saw Beth sitting on the bed, crying. "Hey, what's going on? Talk to me." I sat down next to her and she laid her head on my shoulder. "I'm sorry, you said that you had to talk to Luke to figure things out, but I didn't expect it to be this soon. And I don't know the hug seemed kind of intense and it just hit me that..." she stopped her sentence. "What?" I asked softly "You can tell me." She hesitated for a moment "It just hit me that there might be a chance that you guys still feel for each other and that there will never be an 'us' and that it will just be you and him." I put her hands into mine and looked her in the eyes "Hey, even if I still felt for Luke, which I don't, he could never in a million years just replace you. You're a one of a kind, you're strong, sweet, caring, honest and also smoking hot, if I may add." Beth blushed and smiled softly "You mean so much to me and nothing could ever change that. I just don't want to mess things up with you, I wanna do it right and that means that I have to find closure with Luke first."

Beth smiles "you're such a softie." I crossed my arms "No, I'm nott, you're turning me into one." She chuckled "Well, it's cute when you're acting like one." I smiled at her "Well, I'll be a softie just for you then." I look at her pretty face and softly wipe a tear away. "Why did you two broke up anyways?" Beth asks me with a questioning face "Well, that's kind of the problem. We never really did break up. We were supposed to go to Thailand in May together, but he stood me up because he had to work. He didn't even bother to call or text me. I was so mad at him, I never reached out to him again. But we never officially broke up." Beth looks at me with a frustrated face "Wait what?! He stood you up, when you were supposed to go on a holiday together?! What an ashole!" I calm her down a bit "It's okay, we spoke about it and he apologized like a billion times and now we're just gonna forget about it and move on." Suddenly Beth lays her hand on my cheek and she puts her soft lips against mine. At first I'm so shocked that I don't even know how to react, but when she's about to deepen the kiss, I pull back. "What are you doing?!" Beth smirked "Well, I hold back because I wanted you to get your 'closure' with Luke. But apparently he's just an asshole who isn't worth pulling back for." I looked angry at her "You might find him an ashole, but I was the one who wanted closure as well! That's what I wanted and you just ignored my feelings completely. You know how badly I wanted to kiss you, but I didn't. Because I want to do it right this time and you just said; screw it, lets just kiss her?! Do you even care about what I want??" I stood up and walked out of the room. Beth caught up with me in the hallway "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean it like that. It was a selfish thing to do, but I just kinda lost control. Of course I care about what you want, trust me, I care" She looked down to the ground, I tilted her chin up and looked her in the eyes "It's alright, but no kissing from now on." Beth sighted "will do boss." I chuckled and gave her a hug. "Let's order some sushi now, I'm starving."

Thank you for reading the 18th chapter already! It's crazy how I absolute love reading and writing now, but if you would've asked me to read a book a few months ago, I would've preferred doing my math homework. I love writing this story and I hope you're enjoying it as well. Please leave your feedback in the comments and don't forget to vote!💓