Chapter Thirteen

Makoto's anxiety was terrible as of late. She hated skipping any kind of work. But with the state her girlfriend was in? She couldn't ignore that.

    Haru laid in her bunk, breath shaky as she laid still on top of the blankets. No matter how high Makoto turned the fan, no matter how many cold, wet towels were on her, Haru's fever wouldn't go down. The heat got so bad, Haru stripped down to her underwear and clutched a few ice packs to her chest. Then Haru started scratching at her own skin until it bled. Makoto couldn't think of anything to do besides wrap cloth around Haru's hands. It worked for a while, until Haru started screaming about something she saw in the window.

    "Get it away from me! Makoto, GET IT AWAY!"

    Makoto had no idea what was upsetting Haru; there wasn't anything out the window.

    Now Makoto sat on the floor at the bedside as Haru slept, keeping an eye on the rise and fall of her chest. Beneath Haru, a puddle of sweat seeped into the sheets. Makoto frowned at that.

    "I've never seen you get this sick before... my poor girl..."

    Makoto carefully brushed some damp hair from Haru's face. Haru whined in her sleep and moved her head from side to side. Makoto shushed her and stroked her hair.

    "Haru... shhh shhhh... it's ok, I'm here, honey..."

    "Mmmm...!"

    "Does something hurt? What's wrong...?"

    Haru's eyes opened slightly, allowing a few tears to slip down her red cheeks. She leaned her face into Makoto's touch, whining like a baby as she tried to catch Makoto's thumb in her mouth.

    "Are you scared? Do you need to regress?" the older girl asked.

    "Mmm... mhmm..." Haru nodded.

    "Ok, baby."

    Makoto used her free hand to grab one of the plush toys, a pastel yellow puppy, from the floor and held it up.

    "Want your puppy? I think he wants to help you feel better!" Makoto smiled.

    Haru reached out and hugged the plush toy tightly, her whines quieting down. Makoto leaned her forehead against Haru's and hummed for her.

    "Mmm... m-mama...?" Haru said, voice shaking.

   "Yes, baby?"

    "I keep thinking about bad things..."

   "What kind of bad things?"

    "Hurting people... in really bad ways..." Haru teared up again, "like... I feel like getting something sharp and stabbing it in someone's eye so I can see them bleed a lot like with the rabbit but I don't want to do that...!"

    "And you won't. I'll be here to keep you calm until you feel better, I promise."

    Haru stared up at Makoto with glassy eyes. She released her plushie to wrap her arms around the other girl and hug her tightly.

    "Mako... I love you so much! Stay with me, don't ever leave! I'm so happy with you..."

    "I'm not going anywhere, baby girl,"

    Makoto had already faced the facts. Haru was definitely having a really bad reaction to those chemicals from the explosion. But she wasn't breaking things or attacking people like some other students. Maybe she was healing; maybe what she was doing was helping Haru get better.

    Even so, Makoto knew her lover needed a doctor. Who knows what could happen if she doesn't get treatment?

    "Mmmm...!"