Chapter Seventeen

It took some fighting, but Makoto managed to get some clothes on Haru so she could bring her to the nurses office. Makoto was shocked to see a total of eight students, all tied up and showing the same symptoms as her girlfriend. Some were laughing hysterically, some were screaming for someone to put them out of their misery, and all of them had faces wet with tears and were laying in puddles of their own sweat.

    "Is she sick?"

    Makoto couldn't even respond when Takuto came over to her, quickly taking Haru from her arms and bringing her to a table. Tae replaced him in seconds.

    "Look at me, are you running a fever? Have you touched her blood? Has she scratched or bitten you?"

    Makoto shook her head. "No... No, I don't think—"

   "UWAAAAAHH!" one of the patients started crying loudly and thrashing in her bed.

    "Sit over there, give me a minute!"

   Tae ran to calm the girl. Makoto slowly dropped into a seat on the far end of the room.

    "Makoto!" her older sister, Sae, came over to her, "Are you ok? Did Haru get sick too? She didn't pass it on to you did she?"

    All Makoto could focus on were Sae's gloves and mask. She started crying when Sae put a mask on her too.

    "Is it that bad...?"

   "So far, it doesn't seem to be airborne, you just have to avoid blood, bites and cuts,"

    "Will Haru be ok?!"

    "Don't worry, everything was explained to me, I'm going to try and convince Principal Shido to get everyone to the hospital,"

    Makoto looked back at the table where Haru was put—watched with heartbreak as Takuto tied her beloved girl down. She regretted coming here. She wished she had just gotten in her car and drove Haru to the hospital without saying anything to anyone.

    "Mr. Maruki?! I need help!"

    Makoto noticed now a student was here assisting the teachers. Even with the mask on his face she could see it was Yuuki Mishima. One of the sick was having a violent seizure—was that Goro Akechi? The Principal's own son was sick?

    "What's happening over here?!" Tae, having calmed the other patient, ran over to help.

    Goro was making a noise like he was choking. Within seconds, his mouth was foaming with blood and his eyes were rolling back in his head.

    "Mishima, get back!" Takuto pushed the boy away and tightened his gloves.

    "Stop that blood from spreading! Cover his mouth!" Tae exclaimed.

    "We have to move him on his side, he's gonna choke!"

    "There's too much blood, it's not safe!"

    Makoto held herself and watched in fear. Blood was spurting from Goro's mouth like a fountain all over his face and chest.

    'Is that gonna happen to Haru...?'

    Goro screamed out loud and arched his back against the bed, staying in that position as blood and tears rapidly spilled all over his face. His heart could literally be seen beating hard against his bare chest. Then he went silent and dropped back against the mattress completely still. The entire room seemed to go quiet.

    "What happened?" Sae said urgently.

    Takuto brought two fingers to Goro's neck. Tae took a small step back, almost putting her hands over her mouth but stopping herself.