Chapter Fourteen

Ryuji wasn't expecting things to go back to normal easily. And yet, he spent all of the class smiling and laughing with Ren and Ann. It was like he had nothing to worry about.

    But then, right before the class ended, Ann got up to talk to somebody standing outside. At first, Ryuji didn't think much of it—Ann's a popular girl, she has a lot of friends. But he didn't recognize that girl she was with. He ended up staring for a minute, trying to figure out if he knew her. But all he witnessed was Ann pulling the girl toward her and tenderly kissing her.

    Ryuji's heart sank.

    "Oh shit..." Ren saw it too. He looked at the blond boy beside him who remained silent.

    "Ryuji? Hey...?"

    Ren touched Ryuji's shoulder and shook him lightly. He didn't respond.

    Ann was holding the girls hand now and excitedly bringing her over to their table. Ryuji's breath started to pick up once they were right in front of him.

    "Hey guys, I want you to meet Shiho Suzui! She's going with us to the game on Friday!" Ann said smiling. "See Ren, she's a cutie just like you!"

    Ann cooed and nuzzled Shiho's cheek. The other girl giggled playfully and pushed her away.

    "It's nice to meet you two, Ann's told me so much about you!" Shiho smiled.

    Ryuji wasn't saying anything, there was fire in his eyes. Ren quickly smiled and stood to accept a handshake from Shiho.

    "I'm Ren Amamiya, it's nice to meet you too! This is—"

    Before Ren could introduce him, Ryuji pushed himself away from the table and stood, knocking his chair over in the process. He was about to head for the door, when Ann called out to him.

    "Hey! Ryuji! Where are you—?"

    "Why didn't you tell me, Ann?" he interrupted. "Why the fuck would you not tell me?!"

    Ann's mouth fell open in shock. Ryuji stormed out the classroom, not caring that his outburst drew the attention of the other students—they turned into each other's groups, beginning the chain of bad rumors.

    "God, what the fuck was that?" Ann said, folding her arms.

    "I—I'm gonna talk to him, excuse me," Ren got up and hurried after Ryuji. Luckily, he didn't go too far.

    Ryuji had gone into a bathroom and proceeded to pace around in the empty space, breathing heavily and pulling at his hair. When Ren came in, Ryuji didn't even acknowledge him.

    "Ryuji, are you ok? What was that?" he was asking.

    "Did you know? Did you know about her?" Ryuji demanded.

    "I mean, Ann said she had a friend but I didn't know they were together like—"

    "AAAAAHHH! DAMN IT!"

    Ryuji screamed and punched a stall door, making it hit a wall. Ren shut himself up and stepped back.

    "How could she not tell me... how could she not fucking tell me?!" Ryuji ranted. "I've known Ann forever! We're supposed to tell each other everything! How could she not even fucking mention that she—! AAAGGHH!!"

    He pulled his hair and screamed.

    "I'll kill that girl! I'll rip her fucking throat out!"

    In his blind rage, Ryuji punched a mirror. A huge crack spread instantly and he bent over, gripping his fist. A few specks of red were left behind. Ren stood there, unsure of what to say as his friend started to cry.