chapter two

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎𖣔༄we are best friends, aren't we?____•____

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎𖣔༄
we are best friends, aren't we?
____•____

The formalities did not lack. Her mother had prepared an afternoon of tea too excessive for a simple visit of Gilbert. It was noticeable, through the smokescreen she had arranged to cover her intentions, that some of her past desires remained in her presence. Even if it was against her husband's wishes.

That didn't ruin what went on in the afternoon at all. Gilbert had accompanied her on a long walk through the garden, one that seemed like an eternity. He did not regret the indiscreet situation he had to endure before his best friend's mother if that meant having time to discuss with her later. The walk seemed more like an adventure to the stories to be told and the pardons to be requested and granted by both parties. It took a while for all doubts to be resolved and it seemed that everything had returned to old same bond. The hours of conversation, the simultaneous laughter that they shared at some entertaining commentary and the spontaneous glances that each one addresses to the other discreetly. They were those friends they had always been, since they were aware of it. However, there was something else that stood in the way. That year of estrangement. That year in which they had not shared a single word. It seemed to be pushing each other away at certain moments, you could see it palpable in those seconds of discomfort without a topic of conversation. It was like there was something else to say. Something that none of them mentioned.

"Gilbert" finally she said, wishing to break that barrier of tension between them, "There's something you're not telling me."

"I can say the same for you, Bell."

They both stopped along the way. Facing each other. From an outside point of view it seemed as if they were arguing abruptly, but what really happened was that both of them needed their glances so that it would be much easier for them to detect the truth in their hearts.

"I told you everything, why should I hide something from you?"

"It seems as if we were both hiding something."

"Or as if we were holding a grudge... maybe..."

Bella noticed that Gilbert's eyes turned into a light brown, a sense of sadness rather than enlightenment. His gestures revealed that the lament he suffered and rgar strengthened their barrier of tension was because he feared Bella, what she felt and what she didn't say. What she kept within herself. The guilt of not having been there for him in his very precarious family situation.

"Bell" he  to take her porcelain hands in his scratchy ones and exclaimed with such effusion that he got all her attention in an instant, "You know I would never hold a grudge against you for it. It was not your fault, it will never be your fault. I know you would have wished to be here, I know you share such an strong affection for my father. You must not mourn for anything."