chapter twenty three

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄𖣔༄don't pity the dead_______•_______

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘
𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄𖣔༄
don't pity the dead
_______•_______

It wasn't just deja vu. It was the living experience revived. One could say that one is too young to live such feelings as those of such suffering. Bella said that there is no set age for experiencing suffering.

One day, when she had offered to take care of Mary, she had accidentally broken down in tears in front of Mary. The two of them had become a mess of tears.

"Why should bad things always happen to good people?" Bella had questioned herself, even as she choked on a few tears that penetrated in Mary's soul.

Mary had taken pity on her, offering her a hand. The gesture was as simple as that but considering the precarious situation, Bella had to interpret it as the greatest detail that had ever been offered to her in her life. With her head heavy from resisting the tears that still insisted on being shed, Bella felt her heart squeeze as her touch touched Mary's. Gently, she wrapped her warm fingers around her wrist, climbing up the skin, and every movement was sparkling. It was like imprinting memories on her skin, so that she would have glimpses of what she once was, when she was gone.

"Don't pity the dead, Bella," Mary had told her so calmly that, in a way, it was frightening, "They are already in glory. In peace. What is more difficult is to live, to live fully and without regret. Death is the least difficult thing"

In a way, she couldn't be more right. She herself had faced all the impediments that life could bring to a woman in her time and in her condition. She knew that those bumps were the hardest. Still, she was afraid that death would only seem to Mary, as an old friend she hoped to receive peacefully.

"It doesn't matter what people say to you, Bella. People are not perfect. You don't have to be perfect, especially when it means sacrificing your happiness," she had said to her as she pressed her hand lightly against her wrist, "If you don't live a full life, being exactly that person you are with all your faults and attributes, I think there will be time for regrets. Those regrets will always make your life bitter, don't let them enter in your life".

Oh, she seemed determined to teach her a lesson. Bella needed it, in the end. She had been very foolish in all aspects, and had allowed herself to form grudges. While her mother continued to insist that her daughter must be as impeccable as she was, Bella was mindful of Mary's memories and how she was living proof that those factors of a lady's integrity were not everything. For she was still dreaming. She dreamed of making amends to herself and to those around her. Of course, as long as her mother didn't insist on getting in the way.

"She told you something, didn't she?" Bella asked, in Gilbert's ear.

"What do you think it was?" he continued, teasing her in a certain way.