chapter twenty eight

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𖣔༄such a wonderful ring

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘
𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𖣔༄
such a wonderful ring

Song of the chapter
Anchor by Novo Amor
_______•________

Bella had to admit that she was distressed to the core of her being. Or confused. Or hurt. All possible bad feelings. She barely understood her feelings.

While her anger at the unreasonable decisions Gilbert was making hadn't gone away, it wasn't the same barrier that had stood between them a few days ago. It had faded slightly because she had seen him take the side of those misunderstood and hidden in the crowd. He had joined together to form the force for change. He had not been indifferent as he had been at first. However, his life was not completely in order. There was still a tantalizing desire in him to see his dreams fulfilled through the easier paths that life had given him. He was still not the Gilbert she knew. Still, she knew that her anger for him could not exist forever. In her there was that sisterly affection that made that chance impossible.

Although she had one weight off her shoulders, it wasn't as if the rest would fall away on their own. It was an impossible prospect. The fact that she could not get all the events of the previous night out of her mind was what tormented her the most. Perhaps it was because in a way, there was something in her that was screaming at her to make amends. An amendment that might not please the determined target but that would at least soothe the flaws left by the lack of certainty and make the air clear, at least. Although in her heart rested the desire to be able to recover what had been lost. But it was a task that required more than just a simple amendment thought up at the last moment as a desperate last resort.

"Your brother, is he all right?" Bella asked, almost in a whisper. Poppy smiled discreetly from her side.

"My brother is stronger than he looks, Bella. Give him time to put his life back together," she suggested as she traced letters on the padded notebook in front of her, "Surely he'll find, given the right amount of time, someone else to obsess over. Maybe even start a family. Who knows?"

Bella had frozen at the mere sound of those words, "Sure."

Poppy gave her a suspicious sideways glance, "Unless you're reconciling him."

Bella negotiated as she bit her lower lip, "I told you it's not my time to bond with a person, no matter how strong my feelings are."

"The strength of a woman's spirit and those who support her is simply admirable" added a thoughtful Poppy, she pointed her finger at the surroundings and suppressed a slight grimace, "In a way, that led to our school being burned down. Although look, it has created an impact."