epilogue

Introducing: Ellie Bamber as 25 year old Arabella Hastings!

Introducing:
Ellie Bamber as 25 year old Arabella Hastings!

𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄𖣔༄
the road home
______•______

July, 1907

Bella watched from a distance and it still seemed to her that it all somehow didn't belong to her.

Paris. The city of love. Was it really the city of love? Boy, she wasn't one to judge. If she was honest, when had love ever been fair?

The last time she had been there had not been the best time of her life. It had to be considered that this destination had been chosen to take the pain out of the mourning that the Hastings had lived through for so long.
Grief-stricken and disconsolate, the Hastings had strolled through the narrow streets of the picturesque town with long faces and the bitter feeling that they were not really enjoying it. But how could they? The sudden passing of Lord John Hastings had caused the family to succumb to overwhelming grief, and the darkness had come upon them violently.

In a way it had also turned out to be a subtle and discreet celebration of the imminent succession of Bella's father, who in the course of a single day had already become the honorable Lord Conrad Hastings, Duke of Rothyshire and Knight of the Order of the new King, Edward VII. His sombre wife had left her youngest daughter in charge of one of her eldest daughters and had moved to England to honor her new position, Lady Catelyn Hastings and Van Swartz, Duchess of Rothyshire.

That had been water under the bridge. Two years had already passed since that sad event, and the new position in the family had already fitted them perfectly.

Except for young Arabella, who never stopped in one place. Jumping from place to place, seeking the full freedom of the world she had so thoroughly explored after graduating with honors from Queens College.

Violet, always writing to her. Always so constantly worried about her. Now, it was a little hard for her to keep up with the same constancy. She had had twins at the beginning of the year after she had married, christening them Lily and Edward "Eddie Jr." At the end of the year after Grandpa Johnny died, she had had what she had said would be her last child but no one was certain. They had named him Perseus. Such a romantic thing that her mother had deeply disliked.

Why not something a little more sober, Violet? Oh, perhaps because Violet had never been a sober person. She was quite determined to raise her children in freedom, and that was in opposition to everything her mother had inflicted on her life. Bella could not agree more.

On the other hand, she had met her sister Honey the first year she had vacationed from Queens. She had caught the first boat to New York, and had spotted her with her blonde head in the crowd, waiting for the boat to arrive. Rosy, cheerful and humble, Honey Lawson had taken her under her wing for what would be the next few summers from then on. To her mother's chagrin, she had trained her to become a brutally honest woman, capable of coaxing whatever she wanted out of men without getting hurt herself.