chapter nine

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄𖣔༄ a bad weather____•____

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄𖣔༄
a bad weather
____•____

While Nathaniel had abruptly parted with the investments of half of a village, everything turned gray for the working people of Avonlea. Mainly those who had put everything into the hope of a great fortune.

The Nightfalls were peculiarly mired in a gray cloud of doom, chaos and anger. Lady Catelyn had done her best to quell the unrest in which a very angry Sir Jason Nightfall had been plunged into but it had been in vain.
She did not blame them, because in their ambition they had lost far more than they had been able to predict, and there was nothing but guilt within them for making such decisions.

Bella arrived that day in the middle of winter, basket in hand and many plans to offer for Poppy to get her out of the confinement of a dark house to find her in the middle of tears in a corner of the main hall.

"Poppy, dear" he ran to her, opening both arms so that she would sink between them, "Oh, my love, what has happened?"

"Miller and Father have fought, it's been a disaster. He has sworn to go away and leave me alone with my mad to hang father" cried the little girl, who was clinging tightly to Bella's body amidst the spasms of crying.

"Oh my God" sighed Bella, stroking the little girl's brown head, "What about Teddy? Could he come?"

"He's in Boston, Bella. Harvard is his dream as much as your brother Nicholas'" she sighed, "I can't ask him to come and soothe this disaster"

"Oh, my little girl" she swung her lovingly in her arms, "I'm sure there must be some way to solve this"

"It's all my father's ambition, if it hadn't been for that, all this wouldn't have happened"

It was a long time that Bella spent comforting Poppy with warm caresses and all sorts of sweet words until finally the crying stopped, but Bella still noticed the restlessness and fear she harbored within herself . She offered her a loving hand and helped her to stood her up in an instant to offer her one more hug and perhaps a couple of comforting words. As they parted, she offered her a smile that she returned with great factual care.

"Well, Poppy" Bella started saying with a great idea on mind, "You can't stay here all day, it'll be terribly unbearable. So I'll take you outside, the change of air will help you a lot"

"I can't go outside, Father will be very angry with me..."

"I know, I know, that's why we won't ask permission and we'll go out with our free will" Bella's suggestion caused her to earn a grimace of doubt from Poppy's part, "I know, it sounds dangerous but for once let's break the rules!"