Inferno

While on patrol Stan spent the last few hours searching, hunting and tracking. The wolves he hunted had thrown their scent in several different directions, purposely trying to throw him off. Unfortunately, their attempt had worked. Every trail he followed turned up nothing, the scent would come to an immediate halt deep in the woods or near the highway or in the neighborhoods of Honeybee. They were playing games with him. Their smell was scattered in every direction.

He smelled at least 15 wolves. There were 5 females, 10 males. Already their numbers out weighed his. Stan's pack was small, they were the remnants of a greater pack. A pack that was systematically killed in the Sheriff's game of war with the Clan of the Lost and the final dagger in their sides... The death of several of their people in that Sheriff's station years ago. There were no fighters left except Freddie, Mica a young wolf who was orphaned years ago by the fire, a wolf too eager too fight and too angry to control. And himself. They were a pack of orphaned children and heart broken loved ones. Most left to forget the horrors of the past. Moved to other cities, some joined other packs. Who could blame them? Those that were left depended on Stan, but had little faith in him.

He was not his father. He wasn't as strong and was a man who did not want to be leader but he accepted the position. His wolf was strong, held the powers of an alpha. But Stan wanted a simple life. He needed fighters. People he could trust, so he could get rid of this nuisance and get back to his simple life.

But Caleb was a big question mark. Would he be loyal? Would he stand to fight if he was called to? Could he be trusted? Especially against this enemy. If it was the Sheriff, could he pull the trigger if he needed to? Would he join the Raven Falls Clan? Stan's brain hurt, there were too many questions. Too many variables and not enough answers.

Then there was the question of Grandma Cade, Rachel and Simona. What the hell was going on? The Lavender and wild flowers growing around the Cade property made it hard to catch a scent of anything. Lavender made it hard to smell any wolves and the stink of several beasts were all over their property, but impossible to track. Was someone hunting them? Or were they looking for Caleb as well?

Keeping up appearances at the station he smiled and chit chatted waiting for the Sheriff to come in. But no one had seen him since yesterday, which was out of character for him. He was always there being that stern watchful eye. Him not showing up for duty meant he was preparing for war, or hiding.

It was a little after 3:00 when Stan began his 20 minute drive home. It was a small couldesac just outside of Raven Falls city limits, three houses, modular's and mobile homes. The last of his people. He was half was there when his phone rang. It was Caleb.

"This motherfucker has got some nerve..." Stan cursed just before answering, frustrated that he was just now calling him after two days of purposeful silence.

"Stan!" Caleb yelled into the phone.

"Where the hell have you been?" Stan was ready to rip him a new one. "I have been looking for your careless ass for- do you have any idea what is going on? Do you!"

"I know, I know. I need you, now!" His voice is anxious, he was out of breath. Something is very wrong.

"What's going on?"

Every word Caleb said there after fell on deaf ears when the smell of smoke tickled Stan's nose. All the hairs on his arm rose and a cold shiver ran down his spine. Leaning close to the steering wheel, in the distance a cloud of black smoke could been seen billowing up to the sky. There was no doubt in his mind it was home. His Pack's homes. The last his people.

His heart stopped and his foot punched the gas as he threw the phone down in the seat. Caleb yelled into his cell trying to get Stan's attention. But the only thing that mattered in that moment was his pack.