Funeral

Zandra felt tears fill her as she put on her black dress, black boots, and black leather jacket. Her hair was curled with half of it pulled back by a clip. She looked down at the last photo she had with her mother and a tear fell. In the photo a six year old Zandra was sitting on her mother's lap laughing with her about something while her father took the picture. Today she would be saying goodbye to the woman he loved her but had lost her way. She didn't know how Elijah got it so that her mother's body could be buried in her actual casket but he did and she didn't question it.

"Hey kid," her father's voice said softly.

"I know that as a vampire she probably did a lot of horrible things but she was my mother and she didn't deserve this. It should have been me why did she step in front of me," Zandra said.

"She did the same thing I would have done Zandra. She protected her child no matter the cost to herself," Alaric said turning her so that she was looking at him and she saw the red eyes.

"I want the ritual done as soon as possible," Zandra stated trying to get herself under control.

"It will be but for right now let's remember the woman that Isobel was," Alaric said wrapping an arm around her shoulder and leading her out.

Zandra smiled when she saw Caroline, Tyler, and Elijah. Caroline ran forward, tears in her eyes, and hugged her like her life depended on it. That was the thing that Zandra loved most about Caroline, she was occasionally obnoxious and rambled but she had never met Isobel and here she was crying with Zandra, crying for her.

"After this you and I are having a girl's night and drinking alcohol with ice cream and watching a bunch of chick flicks," Caroline said sternly.

"Okay," Zandra said not wanting to argue with Caroline plus it seemed like a good idea.

"That means I won't be around I hate chick flicks already got enough of them from when we lived together," Tyler said joking and Zandra laughed slightly because she knew why Tyler was doing it and smiled.

"You're just jealous that I have Caroline when all you have is my father," Zandra joked smiling slightly but it didn't reach her eyes.

"Oui kiddos don't beat up on your old man," Alaric joked holding her tight.

Elijah looked on in amazement and he smiled. Alaric hadn't really talked to him much but then again he had a wife to bury and a daughter to take care of and he admired that despite the fact that he didn't trust him the older man was putting it aside for his daughter because he knew Zandra needed Elijah. The vampire wished that his family could be this close and hoped that maybe once they met Zandra it would change but for now he put that thought aside but knew Zandra heard it when she gave him a small smile. Elijah had feared that she would go crazy with revenge but just maybe with her family and friends surrounding her as well as himself Zandra would one day be okay.

~Zandra Saltzman~

Zandra placed a rose on her mother's grave and closed her eyes as she remembered the love she felt as a child. Her mother was strict and there were times that she hated it but she still felt the love and even her father knew despite all her mistakes that Isobel loved her child with everything she possessed. Zandra remembered one special night when it was just her and her mother, it was her favorite memory.

A five year old Zandra huffed and crossed her arms as her mother once again engrained more history into her mind. She didn't like and showed it, who could blame her either since she was only five and deserved to be outside enjoying her time not being schooled by her mother. She saw her mom give her a look of annoyance but she didn't care she wasn't doing this anymore.

"I don't want to," Zandra pouted.

"Zandra," Isobel scolded.

"You don't love me do you? All we do is learn history and I liked it at first because I love history and I know you and daddy do as well but I'm five. I just want to have fun and spend time with my mother," Zandra yelled then looked down because she felt bad about making her mother feel horrible.

"You're right my little warrior," Isobel sighed realizing what she had been doing, "I only do it because I know you're smart."

"I love you mommy but can we watch a movie or go see one," Zandra begged looking up.

"Alright let's go see what movies they have playing in the theaters," Isobel said standing and picking up Zandra who clung to her mother.

"Can daddy come?" Zandra asked.

"Well let's call him and see," Isobel suggested with a smile.

Being at the movies with her parents had been one of the few good times that the three of them had as a family and one of the last. Zandra stood up sending a silent prayer to whoever listened wishing for peace for her mother. She walked over and stood between Elijah and Caroline with Tyler and her father standing behind her each with a hand placed on her shoulder in comfort. She seeked out Elijah's hand and sighed in relief when he squeezed it in comfort and smiled at him watching as Caroline went next to her mother's grave.

"I didn't get the chance to meet you Isobel but I know that Katherine compelled you. I also know that you loved your husband and daughter. You loved Zandra enough to protect her and I thank you for that because now I have a friend, a sister I never want to let go of," Caroline said placing a flower on her grave, "May you find the peace in death you didn't have in life."

Zandra felt more tears fall at Caroline's words and let go of Elijah's hand to hug her friend when the vampire made her way back over whispering a thank you when she pulled away and stood by her side again holding hands. Zandra smiled at Tyler when he went next and he placed a rose on the grave kneeling down to trace the same that had been added on. At first the grave had been marked Isobel Fleming but Elijah had taken care of things and now it read Isobel Fleming – Saltzman loving wife and mother.

"I remember when you came to town it was when Katherine was still compelling you. You had hurt Zandra but when you came to the apartment I saw something in your eyes. Your daughter despite the fact you were still compelled was enough to break through and you cared. Despite all the compulsion and the fact you were still under it you still cared enough about Mr. Saltzman and Zandra to protect them. I know you love them both and I promise to make sure they're happy though I don't think I have worry about Zandra she has a badass Original to help her," Tyler finished standing up and going back to where he was before squeezing her shoulders as her father went next.

"We didn't start off in a good place but we got there eventually. I know that I loved you and always will you gave me a beautiful daughter that I promise to protect. Find peace Isobel you deserve it after everything," Alaric said trying to hold it together for Zandra.

Elijah stepped forward and Alaric took his place wrapping an arm around her shoulders. The two people who were affected by this loss the most was Zandra and Alaric. One had lost a wife and the woman he loved while the other lost a mother and it wasn't fair. Zandra watched as her mate placed a rose on her mother's grave and listened to him speak.

"I can't promise to never hurt Zandra because in my a thousand years of living I have learned that sometimes you hurt the people you love to protect them. I can promise you that I will do everything in my power to protect her and love her with everything I am. I try my hardest not to let her lose herself rest in peace Isobel Fleming Saltzman," Elijah said.

A gust of wind picked up but instead of being scary it was a calming wind and Zandra felt it runs through her hair and she knew, she knew that it was her mother and she closed her eyes as she leaned against her father taking comfort in the wind. As much as it hurt knowing her mother was gone she knew that she would always be with her in everything she did.