IV

Sophie Dumond was Arthur Fleck's neighbor. Sophie had not paid much attention to Arthur's existence, but he had paid too much attention to hers. Fleck had long been attracted to her neighbor; the brunette, with good curves and incredible beauty, had enchanted him. In his free time, Arthur had dedicated to following her. Sophie steps were always the same: take her little daughter to school, go to work at the city bank, and wait for the day to end.

For some time, Sophie had sensed that someone was watching her. Sometimes she thought it was her imagination, but the hunch was strong and so much that she could not help it. When she entered the bank, Arthur let out a sigh, dropped his cloak and looked with some sadness. Sophie was an unattainable woman for him, it was just a dream and desire she longed to possess.

As he walked through the indecent streets of the city, with the idea of an unrequited love, like a hit in the face the image of the redhead came to his mind. He had eaten with her days ago and his mind seemed to want to wipe out that joyful moment of his life. A clumsy smile was drawn on his face as he captured the image of the woman in his mind. "Grace. Grace Davis," echoed inside him.

That redhead was something special. Arthur had not been able to communicate and he did not have the decency to pass him his phone. Stupid for such an action, he brought one of his hands on his forehead and cursed himself for it. He dropped his hand and looked in his pants bag for his pack of cigarettes. He took it out and brought it to his mouth and when he turned it on he felt the taste penetrate his tongue and let out the smoke delicately, making his head revolve around the idea of two women, one who did not know about him and the other one that began to know about him.

♣♦♥♠

Grace arrived home and took off her wedge heels and walked barefoot throughout the room, she went to turn on the television and waited for the time of the Murray Franklin show to begin. She sat down in her sofa and somewhat discouraged, sighed as she hugged a cushion. She had eaten with Arthur Fleck days ago, since then, had not received any calls from him. She looked hopeful at her phone and there was no message on her answering machine. Grace sighed this time sadly. Arthur had delight her and, to her own surprise, her pleasure was too much. She brought the cushion to her face and cursed herself for not asking for his phone number; maybe Arthur had a lot of work and could not make a call. That should be. Grace removed the pillow from her face and leaned back in the sofa, ready to see Murray Franklin.

♣♦♥♠

After Franklin's time, Arthur took his mother to bed and get her ready to sleep. Completed his task, Arthur closed the door and picked up the dishes to wash them. When he finished picking up the kitchen, Arthur sat down on the couch, lit a cigarette and looked up at his old roof. Playing with the smoke, Arthur remembered the redhead. He wanted to talk to her. He felt the need to talk to her. He got up from the chair and went straight to his phone, to dial the number that still had everything crumpled in that paper and well stored in his pants pocket. On the other side, Grace heard her phone, jumped from her sofa and took it with great haste.

"Hello?" She asked with some optimistic air.

"Grace?"

"Arthur!" She exclaimed cheerfully.

"I'm sorry to call so night, I..."

"No, it is no problem. Indeed, I'm glad you called." Fleck drew a slight smile on his face. "How have you been?"

"Fine, fine — you know, working. And you?"

"It's good that everything goes well, and I'm just like you. Just Working."

They both smiled awkwardly and ready to follow the conversation, Arthur heard a knock at his door. Surprised by it, he asked Grace to wait for him and he, curious by such a nocturnal knock, seeing to the peephole of the door, discovering his neighbor Sophie. He opened the door and the brunette leaned over the door frame. Arthur was paralyzed. He never imagined that her neighbor knock on his door.