XI

Arthur entered the room and found Grace with a lost look and very pale skin, he approached her and placed his hand on her shoulder, she shivering as she regained consciousness.

"I'm so-sorry," he said worried. "No, no ... I got scared."

"Are you OK?" He asked. "Yes," she replied with a confident smile. "I just was thinking."

"About what?"

"My workmates. I hope they are doing everything right."

The wide line on the redhead's face tricked Arthur about the true feeling she carried with her. He took a seat next to her and they both looked at Penny.

"She woke up for a while and then went back to sleep."

"Is that good?"

"The doctor told me it was normal." He stopped and looked at her. "You arrived early today."

"Yes, I thought I was late."

At that moment, the doctor came to the room and, clearing his throat, got the attention of both.

"Sorry to interrupt you, could I speak with you, Mr. Fleck?"

Arthur responded with a quick nod, got up from the armchair and Grace stroked his hand in support. The doctor and Arthur left the room.

"Mr. Fleck," he spoke sternly. "I'm afraid I have to tell this, but insurance won't be able to cover his mother's medical expenses anymore." At those words, Arthur's gaze changed radically. "The approximate stay of his mother is two days and then we move her to an area according to what the insurance covers. I know this sounds tough and the treatment your mother needs is expensive, I could ..."

"All right, doctor," he interrupted. "I'll take care."

A wide smile was his last response. The doctor looked scared at Arthur, he nodded his head and turned around to resume his work. The smile remained on his face until the doctor disappeared in the hallway. Arthur returned to the room and took a seat next to Grace, who looked at him worriedly.

"Something is wrong?"

"The insurance will no longer cover the hospital," he said. She brought her hands to her face. "When does the service end?"

"In two days."

"My God ..." She whispers as she dropped one of her hands. "Arthur, I have some savings, it's not much but it can cover, maybe two more days your mom's stay in what ..."

"Grace," he said stiffly, "I already told you, you don't have to worry so much about it."

"Arthur," she snorted sadly, "my intentions are good. You know it," she said softly. "Accept the money I offer you."

"I couldn't pay you."

"No one talked about a loan. It is for the health of your mother. I've already been in your situation, and I know how difficult it is, more with this social security chaos." Arthur raised one of his eyebrows as she took his hands. "They are cutting a lot of funds," she continued. "That is not a novelty in this city."

"Did you know about that?"

"I heard rumors, but I know they are true. This is getting horrible. How dare they cut funds and insurance? It is unforgivable."

"Because they do not care about us, Grace. They have never done it."

The sadness overtakes the redhead and while they both looked at each other, she averted her focus her gaze on the TV, which was lay in silence, and noticed a peculiar news.