X

An incandescent light bothered Arthur's eyes, those ambulances outside his building had completely weirded out him. He thought that perhaps the young gangs had managed to injure a third party and if so, poor of the unfortunate. As he approached, he noticed the stretcher with a familiar dull blond hair, hurriedly he approached and looked at his mother. Behind the paramedics came a terrified Grace with her thin hands on her lips and her green eyes covered in tears. The redhead raised her red gaze and revealed a petrified Arthur, looking motionless at that scene. She went straight to him and took his hands.

"Arthur!" She exclaimed, without controlling his crying. "What happened?!" He demanded. "Some police officers arrived at your house and ..."

"Cops?" He asked, surprised and upset. The redhead nodded quickly and one of the paramedics turned to see them. "Does any of you know the Mrs.?"

"Me," he replied. "I'm her son."

"Come with us," he ordered.

Grace released his hands and Arthur gave her a quick look, she managed to tell him that she would go behind him on the road and he got into the ambulance, stunned to see her mother prostrated on the stretcher. The redhead did not stop shaking, she felt that her promise to attend to Penny had failed. She turned around finding out several neighbors had witnessed the moment not worried about the woman, just for morbid. The detectives moved away from the small crowd and approached Grace, who tried to evade them.

"Miss Davis," Detective Burke called. "I will not speak with you. If you excuse me, I have to go to the hospital."

She looked at them with immense anger and passed them by sideways, entering the building again looking for all her things.

♣♦♥♠

Upon arriving at the hospital, Grace asked for Penny's reports at the reception. The nurse told her that Mrs. Fleck was on emergencies and her son was in the waiting room. She thanked her for that and went to find Arthur. She found him in the middle of the lonely seats, the smoke from his cigar wiggled in the air while his body seemed to be an inert figure. Grace sighed in anguish and began to walk towards him, who seemed to react to the thunderous sound of her wedge heel.

"Arthur," she called sadly. He looked up at the woman. "Arthur, I ..."

"What happened?" He interrupted her, in a sharp voice. He did not sound annoying, but its restlessness was evident.

Grace sat next to him, putting her hands on his arm and swallowed hard.

"The detectives arrived asking about you. I tried to dispatch them and prevent your mother from knowing about them, but it was impossible for me. They wanted to talk to you or a relative until your mother appeared at the entrance. Those detectives stunned your mother with questions and then she passed out." The redhead did not have the courage to look at Arthur. "I'm so sorry."

"Why?"

"I promised to take care of your mother and I didn't."

"It's not your fault," he said as he held his free hand over hers. "They did it."

She raised her green gaze injected with blood. Emotions had hit her immensely and she could not stop crying. Arthur moved his arms and wrapped her in them to get her to calm down and while it was working, the doctor appeared informing them of the results. Penny had suffered a blood clot. The response of both was mournful and the doctor granted them access to the floor where Penny Fleck would be until he saw a recovery.

Arthur and Grace lay in a couch next to Penny, she slept and was piped to a monitor. Neither of them had dared to speak, they just waited. Arthur got up from the seat, causing Grace to let go his arm and she looked at him.