XIV

Grace took the public phone and with her trembling hands she threw the coins, dialed the number and waited for her call to be taken. The phone ring did not stop, and the answering machine entered.

"Arthur," she released. "I-I'm in the hospital and ..." She stopped and took for a big breath. "They just informed me about your mother ... I ... I am going to your house. I won't be late."

The redhead hung up the call and left the place. By placing one foot outside the hospital, and taking the first steps on the pavement, Grace lifted her face and discovered something peculiar on the streets. People wore clown masks, posters in hand and their deafening cries of protest. The large number of people was ready for an immense demonstration and she experienced a chill running down her back. This was not a good sign. Concerned, Grace snuck out the crowd to be able to direct her steps to the subway and go to Arthur's house.

♣♦♥♠

In what Grace arrived at the hospital to know about that fateful news, at home, Arthur had given birth to his deepest being; one that had long been asking to out. He dyed his hair green, painted his face with white retouching and, while thinking about the way he would give his new being, he looking for the rest of his makeup among the drawers and found an old photograph of his mother. Penny was a beautiful woman. It cannot refuse, anyone would have fallen at her feet. He turned the picture and saw a description on it:

"I love your smile. T.W."

Arthur wrinkled the picture until his hand formed into a fist, his veins jumped and with immense anger he threw the picture to the ground. A few tears sprouted and his mother's face drew in his mind, regretting what he had done. Arthur undid his tears along with his makeup, he was not going to cry. No more. He continued to paint his face when the doorbell rang.

"I'm coming!" He exclaimed while taking scissors. He reached the door and looked at his former workmates, Randall and Gary. "Hello Arthur," greeted the dwarf. "We come to visit you."

"That's right, how are you my friend?" Randall continued. He stepped aside and they entered the home, feeling a great emptiness. "Where's your mother?"

"She died this morning," he replied like nothing. They both looked amazed. "Arthur, we're so sorry," Gary said. "Yes friend, anything you need ..."

"It's not necessary," he interrupted and leaned against the wall. "I am celebrating..."

"Arthur, friend, we brought you some things," Randall continued curiously as he extended a bag. "We don't know if you already have a job, but with what happened to your mother, this can help you." Arthur took it and set it at the table. "You know? The other day, Phil, saw you on the street accompanied by a woman, a redhead."

"She's my girlfriend," he responded as he turned around and lay his posterior at the table. Arthur took out a cigar and started smoking. "Well, well! We did not know it. So, you already have someone?"

"Good, Arthur," Gary continued. "I'm glad for you," he confessed sincerely. "Thanks Gary."

"How is she...?"

"How is she about what?"

"You know ... How is she between the sheets?"

"It's not your concern, Randall."

"I'm curious, heh, I can't deny it. But that's true." Fleck watched Randall sternly and continued smoking. "By the way, Arthur, will you go to the protest?" Asked Gary curiously.

"Protest?"

"Yes, today there will be a huge protest. You will imagine. But I am asking you this because the makeup you wear."