XIII

Arthur came home. The road had been long, tedious and cold, just as he had wished. He closed his door and lay his soaked body on it, still thinking about what happened today. Thomas Wayne was right. His life had been a lie disguised with joy. The words that Penny always said were repeated which broken record in his tormented head. He repeatedly crashed his forehead into the wood until a few tears came up again. The memories of his life passed which movie, happiness? When had he been happy? In no time of his fucking life.

And between his tears and memories, his laughter emerged. His thunderous and peculiar laugh managed to widen his lips and lift his cheeks, laughter flooded the apartment and the pain consumed him infinitely. Arthur sat down in his armchair, his body kept shaking and the sound of his laughter had come to neighboring apartments, listening as they asked to shut up. He ignored them, leaned back and placed himself in a fetal position and he will leave time to continue next to his tears and laughter.

♣♦♥♠

Grace watched through the window of the hospital room. The drops slid swiftly through the glass and she paid attention to the time on her watch. It was after ten and Arthur did not arrive. Concern arose in her, she brought one of her hands to her chest and felt the beating of her heart at an unusual pace. Grace prayed that Arthur was well, that he did not have the misfortune of crossing any of the demonstrations that people made. She sighed, dropped her arms and approached the armchair in search of her purse and took out a few coins.

"I will make a call, Mrs. Fleck. It won't take me long," the redhead said as she palmed the woman hand. Penny responded with a grimace and Grace left the room.

When she reached the ground floor, she took one of the public telephones and began to throw the coins, surprised at the echo they were making. The hospital was empty and the serenity that abounded in the place was scary. Grace dialed the number and waited patiently, listening to the sound of the line. Moments later the sound of the telephone line stopped, and Grace knew that the answering machine had entered, hung up the call, took one of her hands on her forehead and a bitter sigh came. She tried one last time and the result was the same. That anguish tormented her again and continued with her prayers for to Arthur was well.

Upon arriving in the room, Grace paid attention to the television to see that the Murray Franklin show began. Penny looked at the program and she turned up the volume so both could enjoy the program. In what they enjoyed the night, and before Murray finished the show, there was something that caught the redhead's attention.

"Do you remember our friend who tried to be a comedian?" He asked. "Well, many of you have called us to repeat his video and the truth is that surprises me." The audience began to laugh at the obvious sarcasm. "So, we've thought about it a lot and what better way to invite the man in person." All the people clapped, Murray asked for some control and put his hands together with a loud clap. "Of course, dear public, we will do everything possible so that in the next program our Joker will be the star of the night."

"Joker?" The redhead questioned between surprised and amused.

The show ended, she discovered that Penny had fallen asleep and tried to cover her with the sheets. She turned off the television, moved the curtain that divided the room to protect the privacy and took one last look out the window. The darkness that the night offered terrified her, the blackened sky did not stop throwing its rain and resumed the armchair, ready to rest. Today she had been very unsettling for the day, especially knowing that she would soon be a mother.

Remembering this, he brought his hands to his belly and with his thumbs caressed him sweetly, gave a half smile and thought about the future that was approaching. She could not deny being afraid, she had never planned the idea of a child, even when she was Richard's couple. Now Grace just had to wait and know how Arthur would take it to be able to move forward with this new step in their lives.