XIX

4 months later.

Grace lay on her bed, slept and hugged one of the pillows while her breaths were deep. A kind of flutter arose inside her belly, she opened her eyes and sat on the bed to bring her hands to that place.

"You move a lot," she said sleepily. "What's wrong?"

She stroked her bulging belly and that curious wiggle intensified. The baby was already entering week twenty of his process and the doctor told her that she would begin to feel his movements. The redhead yawned and got up from the bed to go to the bathroom, while sensation that feeling inside her. In the bathroom, Grace heard her phone ring, she snorted bitterly and let it go on. When she got out of there, she leaned over the door frame and looked down the hall that led to the living room; the phone did not stop until the answering machine came in:

"Good morning, Miss Davis. I'm lawyer Cane." She growled at the name. That person was the one who represented Arthur at his trial. Grace walked away from the place and drove to her room, letting the message go on, "my call is to request you an urgent appointment at my office and it's about Mr. Fleck." The redhead stopped under the lintel. "You missed my calls, miss, but I really need to talk to you. Mr. Fleck's last trial is next week and ... I really need to talk to you. You have my number, please contact me as soon as you can. I'll see you soon."

A bitter sigh was the only thing she could do and willing to return to bed, heard a knock at her door.

"Can't be possible..."

She put her hands behind her back and headed for the entrance. The redhead looked in the peephole and noticed a young man, perhaps her age with a mahogany coat, good suit and a severe attitude. Grace shuddered, opened the door as far as the lock allowed it and in the darkness of the place, that man distinguished the woman.

"Good morning, Miss Grace Davis?"

"How I can help you?"

"I'm Detective Gordon ..." he said. She shivered and slammed the door, stunned the man. "Miss Davis?"

"Please, go away!" She exclaimed. "Months ago, I made my statements!"

"I know, miss ... ah ... listen. I don't come directly from the police department, I come on my own and ..."

"I already did my statements!" She insisted. "Miss ..." He sighed sourly, brought his fist to the door and let go: "Arthur Fleck left something for you."

Grace was surprised at that revelation. Anguish covered her face, bit her lower lip and struggled to open her door. Detective Gordon stood firm, not moving a muscle until the click of the door rang again. He moved away a few centimeters and saw the redhead, giving him access to her home. Gordon thanked and entered, waiting for her to close the door and offer him a seat.

♣♦♥♠

Jim Gordon was waiting patiently in the chair, put aside his files and analyzed the place without much care. Grace prepared some coffee for the man, in which she served herself a fruit juice, at the time she looked sideways at the detective, discovering her bad analysis. Listening to the kettle, Grace poured the water and ready the cup to return to the living room.

Seeing how she was heading with two cups, Gordon got up from his place and assisted the redhead, discovering her pregnancy. Noticing how he looked at her, Grace tried to hide her belly between her long sweaters. It was already late, he knew it.

"Please, have a seat," she offered. The detective returned to his place as she addressed the individual sofa. "Thank you very much." He sipped his coffee and placed it on the table. "Mrs.?" He questioned. Grace looked at him and nodded. "All right..."