XX

5 years later.

Grace looked at her wristwatch, huffed and puffed in annoyance and lay her head in the window of the bus where she was. She stares and appreciated how some men, in the neighboring seat, watched her in a stalking manner. She felt the chills run through her body, pretended not to have noticed them and waited for the road to end soon.

She spotted her stop, got up quickly from the seat and went down, feeling those piercing glances. The bus drove away, and she adjusted her coat and walked to her destination. The redhead glanced at the streets, despite all these years, Gotham City had become a hell on earth. From the incidents in which the city burned; thus, baptized by the media, the flames could not be extinguished. What the Joker had accomplished left a people marked who, under his ideals, followed his word as faithful devotees.

At an accelerated pace, the redhead arrived at her destination, the preschool of the city. She entered the garden and when she looked at one of the teachers, she greeted her with a big smile.

"Mrs. Davis!"

"Hello Miss Ellis," she replied. "I come for my child."

"Sure ma'am, come in, Artie is waiting for you. Today he got two little stars." Grace outlined a wonderful smile. "Two little stars?"

"Yes! One for his drawings and one for good behavior."

The two entered the building and walking down the hall, the need to see his son emerged. She listened to the laughter and the happy shrieks of the children, hastened her steps and, upon arriving at the classroom, distinguished in the window his little son playing with his classmates. The class teacher attended to several children when she noticed her workmate and her companion.

"Hi, good morning, Mrs. Davis."

"Good morning, Miss Kyle." Miss Ellis said goodbye and resumed her work. Miss Kyle approached Grace and called Artie, who quickly turned around and with a big smile, looked at his mother. "Mommy!"

The little boy got up from his chair and ran to hug his mother. Grace knelt, spread her arms and wrapped her son in a warm hug, kissed her chestnut and wavy hair and the joy emanated from her son made her withering day shine.

"Mommy!" He called as he raised his head, brought his little finger to his forehead and saw the two decals of little stars. His eyes, of a light grayish color, emerged an unsurpassed glow. "Look, two little stars."

"Yes Artie, Miss Ellis told me. You behaved very well today," she said full of pride. "Yeah! I also drew and my drawings liked Miss Kyle."

"Oh, my love, I want to see what you drew. Go for them and your backpack, okay?"

The little one quickly affirmed, turned around and ran for his things. Grace stood up, shook her skirt and looked at the teacher, who maintained a tender smile.

"Thank you for today, Miss."

"Don't thank me Mrs. Davis. Artie is a very good boy."

The little boy arrived, he carried his small backpack in his hand and in the other his drawings, he handed his mother the papers and she looked it sideways as she put his winter clothes on. Artie kept talking about what he had done today in kindergarten, Grace raised the closure of her jacket, put his hat on then the scarf and finally the gloves and she smiled at the adventures her son was telling her.

"Say goodbye to Miss Kyle."

"See you on Monday, Miss!" He exclaimed as he said goodbye with his hand. "See you on Monday, Artie. And remember to bring your favorite toy to share it."