XII

Early in the morning, Grace went to the bank to request her savings to extend Penny's stay in the hospital. Upon leaving the building, she approached Arthur who waited for her outside the place.

"It's all ready," she said with a smile. Arthur threw the cigar on the ground and crushed it. "Why didn't you come with me?"

"I wanted to clear my mind," he lied, remembering who worked there. "Okay," she continued as she hugged his arm. "We can already go to the hospital."

Arthur nodded, they both walked to the bus stop and Grace clung to her bag. There was no reason to ask why it, the insecurity had worsened, and everyone take care of their backs jealously.

Arthur carefully watched the moment Grace made the payments; he only signed the necessary documentation. In the hallway to Penny's room, the redhead stopped, leaned against the wall and brought one of her hands over her face.

"Hey! You okay?" Asked Arthur worriedly. "Yeah ... I got a little dizzy." He approached her and took her by her waist. "I confess that I am little tired."

"Go home."

"I promised to stay here," she said as she patted his chest. "By the way, I know this is none of my business, but where will you go today?"

"I need some of my mother's documentation. I will not be late."

"Okay ... you know? I talked to my workmate, the one who makes the loans."

"Grace ..."

"Let me finish. She told me there would be no problem with it, just knowing how much we will need, the interests are not high. I can afford them." Arthur sighed bitterly, grabbed Grace and laid her head on his chest. She was surprised and hugged him. "Don't worry anymore, okay?"

He nodded gently and leaned his chin in her reddish hair, staying together for a long time.

♣♦♥♠

As soon as Arthur left, Grace stayed in the room and Penny slept. The redhead sighed exhausted and ran her hands over her face, pulling her hair back. She kept thinking and bit her lower lip. Suddenly she went to her bag and took out the information that the nurse had given her yesterday. Grace read the content and undecided, thought about doing or not doing a blood test. She shook her head, refusing at such an idea and her mind repeated that her period would soon come. The redhead knocked the paper against her palm, in a frantic rhythm, deep down she wanted to have that test and control her nerves. While thinking about, the nurse came in to check on Mrs. Fleck and noticed how distracted she was.

"Good morning," she greeted. Grace reacted and nervously corresponded to the nurse. "Good Morning."

She smiled, subtly woke Penny and began to check her treatments and vitals.

"Everything is going great, Mrs. Fleck." The woman tried to smile; it was impossible for her. She raised her hand and tapped the nurse's arm. "Keep resting, Mrs." The nurse took her cart and before leaving Grace got up from her place and approached her. "Excuse me for stopping you like this, but I'd like to ask you, where are the labs?"

"They are on the ground floor, down the hall next to the reception. Did you dare to get tested?"

"Yes, yes," she whispered. Avoiding to Penny from perceiving their conversation. "I want to know if, I really ..."

"I'm glad to hear that. Go there, ask for everything you need for it and by three in the afternoon, you can do the analysis." The nurse smiled excitedly and left the room.

Grace sighed, turned around and came back her place, waiting for the right time to go to the laboratories.

♣♦♥♠