XVIII

The little things that Grace remembered was how the cops drove Arthur away from her. The pain in her belly intensified and she begged the officers to help her. She was scared for her future baby. An ambulance and the coroners were slow in coming, Grace remained on the floor squeezing the policeman's arm and praying that nothing bad would happen. The paramedics arrived, approached her and listened as she repeated the fact of, she was pregnant. From that moment, the redhead's mind was wrapped in a large cloud, losing consciousness of the rest of that fateful night.

♣♦♥♠

Gotham City was marked. The anarchy that abounded all that night created a full stop in the political and social situation. People overcame their anger at being ignored to create justice by their own hand, lowered the ideals of that Joker, the true leader of this change.

Grace opened her eyes suddenly; the incandescent light created a pain in there and raised her hands to avoid that illumination. She blinked rapidly and her vision cleared, a white room began to form, and she felt her body lying on a bed. She looked around and noticed her left arm connected to a serum bag, and more confused than she already was, she tried to get up from where she was, managing to be stopped by a nurse.

"Mrs., calm down."

"What...? Where...?" She snapped confused. "You're in the hospital. Your condition is delicate, please lie down and relax."

"Hospital?" She whispered. "Arthur? Where is Arthur?" She asked the nurse as she took her arm. "Is he your husband?" She asked confused. Grace blinked again and pondered what happened last night. "Mrs.?"

Suddenly she placed her hands on her belly and her breathing stirred.

"My baby ..." she whispered, however, the nurse understood her. "Calm down. You suffered a threat of abortion and if you continue to alter yourself, you will lose your baby." Grace looked surprised at the nurse, who was changing her serum bag and seemed not to understand the words mentioned by her. "I did not lose him?"

"No ma'am, as I told you, it was a threat of abortion. You saw herself back in a very crazy situation which altered your stress levels and created abdominal spasms; they can cause a true abortion, so, I repeat you, rest. Be relaxed so you can go home soon."

"Thank you," she said with a long, gratifying sigh. The young nurse smiled once she finished accommodating the serum, and while Grace was laying on the pillows, into her mind had just arrived at what had happened on that horrific night before. "Nurse!" She exclaimed and looked worried. "Last night, about last night ..."

"Don't worry," she replied with a daunting smile.

Grace looked terrified at the nurse. She finished checking everything and before leaving again, questioned the name she had mentioned. The redhead suddenly changed her countenance, denied slightly and leaned back on the pillows. The young nurse worried and analyzed the woman severely.

"Mrs., anyone to whom we can report your stay?"

She looked at a fixed point in the room, her blinking lightened up as her mind questioned who they could call. Moments later she remembered someone and looking calmly at the nurse gave her a phone number. The nurse noted and withdrew, leaving Grace wrapped in solitude.

The sound of her breaths echoed in the room, she felt weak but grateful that her pregnancy continued. And while her head tried to clear herself, the image of Arthur arrived. That unbalanced look, the make-up and blood spilling down his face and his laugh. That laugh. That one who once she let go and seemed to understand it, but no. She had never done it.

The redhead continued to remember Arthur and what he had done broke her heart. A few tears slid on her red cheeks, however, she agreed to control herself, she had to be calm or her pregnancy would not form. Between her breaths, she felt the need to go to the bathroom and when she got up with difficulty she went to the bathroom and did her necessities. When she finished and left, Grace watched the television and turned it on. The first image that appeared was that of the news and the tragic events of last night. The redhead turned up the volume and took a seat at the edge of the stretcher, to pay attention to the facts.