interrupted

"are you good to go?" billie soft voice snaps me out of my morning thoughts and i quickly bring my attention to her.

she's standing by my bedroom door, watching me as i finish applying more makeup than what i usually wear for work, and it is then that i notice she's done hers too. i'm no makeup connoisseur but from here, i can tell she's even put on some concealer, added some blush to her naturally rosy cheeks and even applied mascara. i'd like to say she's also wearing highlighter, because her face's glowing a bit extra today but who knows... that could just be nothing but her own sweat from being so nervous about the unofficial job interview she's having soon.

"yeah, i was just..." i nervously drop my mascara tube on the floor, clearly feeling intimidated by the fact she hasn't stopped watching me as i try to finish making myself look somewhat pretty.

"did you get the yellow envelope from my office?" i quickly change the subject, acting like the intensity of her stare doesn't do things to me. 

she bites her lower lip, trying to hide her beguilement and that just makes it hard for me to breathe again.

"yeah, i got that! it's downstairs with the sandwich i made for you" she arches a brow, shoving one of her hand in the front pocket of the jeans she's wearing and i don't know why i feel the need to explain myself but i do.

"after everything we ate yesterday, i really wasn't feeling hungry for breakfast this morning. that's why i skipped it" i let out a small nervous giggle and turned to look at my own reflection in the mirror as i put my hair up in a ponytail.

or maybe i should leave it down

shaking her head, she walks into the room and stands beside me in front of the mirror and i swear i'm about to sweat all my makeup off if she comes any closer.

"well, i'd appreciate it if you ate that sandwich on our way there. don't take your meals for granted sydney" she says with her eyes practically glued to my reflection in the mirror and that's when it hits me that she is very subtly scolding me about eating because only god knows how many nights and days she had to go to sleep on an empty stomach.

but how do i tell her that after what happened last night, i was hungry.... but not for food?

-

"hurry, we're running late" i say walking ahead of billie along the alleyway that leads to the back entrance of  frankie's.

"we're so late" i repeat myself and hear her chuckle behind me. what's so funny now?

"your shift doesn't start until 09:30, right?... it's like 8:55 now. i know that because i asked our uber just a moment ago" this causes me to stop walking and turn to look at her.

"i don't care, i need them to meet you and hopefully give you the job, before my shift starts so that way we both clock in at the same time"

a cheeky smile spreads slowly across her lips and i can't help but wonder why she seems to be finding amusement in every word that comes out of my mouth today.

"so you want us to work the same shifts huh?"

i can't believe she's choosing to do this to me right now. she's one evil little human.

rolling my eyes at her, i grab her by the wrist and continue walking towards the back door of the diner.

"wait.."

"what now?" i ask and stop walking the moment she does the same.

"the irony of being out here again.. together.. like this" she says tilting her head in direction to the green colored dumpster and that's when i realize exactly what she's referring to.