Skeptical Skepticism

"Now, Macy. Please explain how you first met Leo Chambers."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~A few days later, Macy strutted through the halls of Sunrise High. Once again, her pictures had made "the wall".

The Wall was the Sunrise High equivalent of winning an Academy Award. That's how Macy saw it at least. It didn't just secure her position as Sunrise High's only photographer. It was on display for all potential clients— Senior pictures, check. Prom pictures, gotcha there. Hey, remember that amazing photographer from high school? We should get her to do our engagement photos!

The next ten years were easily planned out.

Macy fumbled with her locker code. Twisting a camera lens to perfection came so easy. Spinning to the correct locker combination though took three attempts minimum.

"Macy." Noah Fletcher leaned against the lockers next to hers, crossing his arms like he was on the defense. She could not get rid of this guy. They went on a date once. Once in sophomore year back when she thought he was cute with his wavy brown hair and dimples. Never again. The week after that date, she found a picture of them next to a trophy in his locker, which described their relationship to a tee. She was another trophy to be won and worn. Disgustingly demeaning.

She threw her locker open after the third try. Always the third try, like clockwork. And thank God it didn't take longer. All she had to do was grab her stuff quick and get out of there. Then she wouldn't have to acknowledge his presence.

"Are you coming to the game later?"

Crap, he was still standing there. "If by game you mean the football game that you happen to be playing in later, then yes. And if by come, you mean, come to do my duty as school photographer, yes to that too."

"So not with the duty of being my date?"

So straightforward. Well, two could play that game. "You should be embarrassed by the continual need to boost your ego. I can get the right angle, best lighting, but not even the best editing could cover your repulsive personality." Maybe that gave him a hint. How did she ever like him? Of course he got her roses, chocolate— He did all the right things, but with all the wrong reasons.

"Whatever, Macy."

She cringed at how her name sounded coming from him, as he always managed to say it with a layer of disgust.

"I like your new pictures, by the way. Maybe use that new skill of yours to redefine my muscles." He winked, finally hoisting up his backpack and headed to class.

She almost gagged at the thought of accentuating anyone's muscles, much less Noah's. Was there no shame in photoshop anymore? The phrase "new skill of yours" distracted her, though. What new skill? Sure, she had experimented with some new settings on her camera, but nothing that he would ever be able to take note of. Maybe he was just messing with her.

The school bell rang, a pesky reminder that she should be in class. She tried desperately to focus on getting class, but Noah's comments had been so unnerving. It was almost like he saw different photos than she had. She wouldn't be able to focus in class without finding out. 

Turning in the opposite direction of first period Spanish, she headed towards The Wall.

The tardy bell rang as she reached her destination. Her mother's voice nagged in her mind to get to class, a thought that faded when she stepped towards The Wall. The canvas of her photography hung exactly where she placed it on The Wall, but it had been painted over. Not vandalized, no, though it may as well have been. Someone had taken their paintbrush and added detail that had been lacking. The veins in rotted leaves. Light bouncing back from the shattered glass. The picture had been enhanced.