Verdict

Father Chambers' attorney approached the judge's bench.

"Miss Martins, you stated that you are Miss Lane's best friend?"

"I am."

"I just find it coincidental that Miss Lane's best friend claims her best friend's boyfriend is innocent. If your friend is as happy as she says, I'm sure you would go through great length to ensure nothing changes for her."

"I did also say that I wasn't a huge fan of their relationship. It took Macy away from me alot."

"But she was happy, and her happiness is most important to you. Upon Miss Martins testimony, I asked Father Chambers if he had ever even spoken to Miss Martins. He denied the entire incident."

Macy groaned and Leo flung his hands in defeat. And of course, there were no other witnesses who could attest to her testimony.

Even Leo's lawyer looked overwhelmed. Things were not looking good.

"Miss Martins, you are dismissed."

Before the judge could speak, Sophia spoke up. "Actually, there is one more thing."

You could hear a pin drop in the courtroom.

"I thought this might happen. And in the case it did, well, I recorded it all. On my phone."

The lawyers went wild, standing up from their chairs and demanding an explanation from each other. Noise flooded the courtroom, and Macy watched as Leo quietly celebrated with a huge laugh.

Sophia made her way from the witness box to the counsel table where Macy was.

"I'm still mad to you." Sophia said, once she handed the recording over to the lawyers.

"Why did you do it?"

"You're my best friend, and, boy or no boy, what the lawyer said is right. Your happiness is most important to me."

Macy covered her face in her hands, not wanting to show the tears building up in her eyes.

It was almost coincidental timing that the coroner with the autopsy report also entered the court room.

The judge settled everyone down again and let the coroner take the stand.

"It has been confirmed that the victim is Hailey Roberts, from Edinburgh, Indiana."

"That's where we used to live," Leo leaned over and whispered to Macy.

"The marks on her body reveal, most likely, sexual assault and then suffocation."

The judge interrupted the coroner. "I want an investigation on all missing girls in the Edinburgh area. Heck, star places that have reported paranormal activity."

"This is crazy." Leo pulled me into a hug once we got out of the courtroom.

"You should trust me more often." Macy winked at him.

"I mean, I guess I really never took the demonic possession thing seriously.."

Macy laughed. "I meant more about the smoking. We wouldn't have been in this mess if you quit while you were ahead."