Chapter 5 - Near Death Experience

Jasper

It had been a normal day for the most part of school. No one had called me any names yet but once third period started, everyone started flapping their jaws. I miss the old times when furs thought my eyes were cool looking. Now, everyone just wants to make fun of me because I'm different than them.

Well, now I was in PE class and I don't exactly feel safe right now. I know in this class, it's a free for all in any sports they pick. I know, I'm gonna get singled out as soon as the game starts. No, let me rephrase that. I will get singled out before the game even starts. It would've been great and all if I had any friends but nope.

Just as soon as the coach was about to assign a game for us to play, another coach entered the gym. "Hey, mind if we join in? Their teacher was out sick and most of the class decided they wanted to do PE", the other coach said. Among the crowd, I saw Dakota standing there, a look of pure boredom on his face.

He looks at me and gives me a lazy smile before looking away. "Eh, whatever. They can join. Whoever wants to play can join and the others who don't want to can just sit on the bleachers", our coach said. Then, Dakota's coach started dividing the students into groups.

The ones who want to join and the ones who don't. It was a surprise to see Dakota among the ones who want to join since he looked like he would rather sleep than anything. They didn't bother to change into their PE clothes though. They got a small briefing of what we're about to do.

Once that was done and over with, both the coaches discussed quietly among each other. I think they were discussing about the game we were gonna play. Well, what better than classic dodgeball! Yay... Note my sarcasm there. I never had the best history with dodgeball.

I always became the target even to my own team. That's why I usually sit out during PE but I can't do that right now. It's my first day here and the teacher just wants to evaluate how good we are. I don't know how dodgeball helps evaluate us but whatever lets them sleep at night, I guess.

The teacher decided to split the teams into eight teams. Each team consisting of five since there were 40 of us who are participating. It was evenly split amongst genders which was the greatest coincidence of all time. So, there'll be four teams of boys and four teams of girls.

As always, Dakota quickly comes to my side and brings me into his team. I don't fight it since I know nobody else would want me in their team. After a while, we finally formed a team. It was me, Dakota, a coyote, a mockingbird and a bison. The last two weren't as happy to be on the same team as me. Strangely, they looked scared when I caught them glaring at me.

I can only assume it was because of Dakota. He already told me how much he hated bullying, especially over small things. The coyote guy seemed nice. He complimented my eye colours, making me blush. I learned his name was Declan. Such a nice name for such a nice guy. It was kinda nerve-wracking.

The first team we were up against were teaming against me. The two glaring guys did not help me at all and were behind me for the most part. In a stroke of irony, they both got hit and was out of the game. We won the first match, unsurprisingly since we had Dakota on our team. Mind you, we were playing only against the same sex team.

So, we won't be playing against the girls. I don't want to know what they'll even do to me if I were to go up against them. Anyway, the next team looked scarier than I expected. They were definitely jocks by the look of it. Those muscular bodies can't exactly make you think otherwise. I swallowed a lump in my throat. I was really scared at the sight I was seeing.

I wasn't making it out of here alive at all. The game starts and it was scary having to dodge their throws. They throw like a damn bullet train. I barely dodged each throw they gave at me. Dakota, on the other hand, stood his ground and caught the ball on occasions. Our two teammates were busy sabotaging me but instead got hit yet again. When will they learn that move is ineffective already?

I felt bad for them cause I could hear a definite crack when the ball connected. I kept dodging each throw but I soon felt tired. When was this stupid game gonna end. I suddenly messed up and slipped down. I looked up just in time to see a malicious grin form on one of the guys. I braced for the pain. I could see my life flash before my eyes.

This was how I was gonna die. Death by dodgeball, what a way to go. I waited for what felt like an eternity but I didn't feel it hit. I opened my eyes to see that Dakota had managed to catch the ball right before it connected to my face. I looked up at him and instantly regret it. He was beyond pissed. His eyes screamed murder. It even scared me with they was he was looking at them.

I looked over at the other team to see the members backing away in fear. I think I see our teammates backing away too. In a blink of an eye, Dakota throws the ball so hard that it legitimately sent one of the guys flying backwards. Remind me not to piss Dakota off. The other team forfeits and we won by default. Thank god since I don't think I want Dakota to commit a murder.

Dakota quickly went to my side and checked if I had any injuries. "I'm fine, Dakota. Just slipped and fell", I say. "I don't know. Better go to the nurse's office", he says. "Dakota, I'm fine. I'm not hurt, thanks to you", I say. Oh, my life actually flashed before my eyes when I saw that ball flying straight at me.

I've never been more grateful to be alive than now. Dakota pulls me up and dusts me off. He acts like he's my dad or something. I'm fine. Just slipped and fell. He's making a fuss about falling down. "Dakota. Stop, I'm fine", I said again. He lets out a hum sound before stopping.

"There. You look better now", he said. This was what I looked like before though. "Okay, go change your clothes and shower. Class dismissed", the coaches said to us. No good memories in the locker rooms either. Ugh, whatever. Lets just get this nightmare over with already.