Chapter 8 - Getting to Know Each Other

Dakota

A gentle breeze blew in my direction as I headed to Jasper's house. It was very peaceful and calming. I wish it was like this everyday but living near the city, you don't get much peace and quiet. I don't know how it'll be in college but I think it would be better than living in this place.

You get the working furs constantly honking their car horns and then some furs who likes to stomp around inside their apartment. It's so damn annoying. I do feel bad for my aunt since I'm basically leaving her behind to go to college. I don't want to picture it but I see it so clearly everytime.

Me being busy and only have time to visit her during the holidays. She's the greatest aunt I could ever asked for. I just don't know what she'll do once I'm gone. Okay, enough with that very sad thought. I had reached Jasper's house and knocked on his front door.

I waited for a few minutes before I heard a 'click' and the door opening. Standing in front of me was Jasper. Even when I knew it, I still can't get over our height difference. I'm a good 7 inches taller than him. That puts me at a height of 6'4".

"Oh, hey. Come in", he beckons. I step into his house and take note how spacious it was. It looked kinda small from outside but it was actually pretty big. He sat down on the couch so I followed suit and sat down too. For a few minutes, only silence accompanied us.

"So, how are you?", I asked. I know, I know. Lame question but cut me some slack. Socialising was never my strong suit. "Um, fine. You?", he asks. "Fine", I replied. Again, silence. He shifts and fidgets around while I just watch. It seems that neither of us were prepared for this scenario.

"Do you...have any other hobbies besides drawing?", I asked.  "Oh, yeah. I do like reading too. Although I don't look like the type, I do like to exercise in my spare time", he replied. It seems we have a bit in common for hobbies. "How about you?", he asks.

"Like you, I also like reading and exercising. I do like cooking and baking. I know how to fix any household appliances too", I replied. "Oh, are you gonna be a mechanic?", he asks. "No, not really. I only do it because the appliances at my apartment breaks down often", I tell him. He nods in understanding.

"Do you have any siblings?", he asked. I hide a frown that was starting to form. Even if I did have a sibling, I don't think they liked me enough to see me. "No, I don't. How about you?", I reply. "I have a little sister and she's the cutest little princess", he says. How nice to have a sibling.

"Oh, yeah. Kinda curious but where do you work?", he asks. "I work at the supermarket. The pay is good but I have to endure a lot of stuff. Trust me, you do not want to know", I say. "Uh, okay", he responds. After that, we started talking more.

Some topics ranging from school to sports. Just anything really. We were so caught up, we didn't realise how much time has passed. The only indicator was the front door opening. "Oh, fuck", I hear him whisper. "We're home!", I hear a feminine voice shout.

"Well, we have to go. Quick!", he whisper yelled. I don't understand why but I don't question it. Before I could even see his parents, we were already up the stairs in record time. I'm guessing since I don't exactly remember running up the stairs.

It was just, one minute I'm sitting on the couch and the next, I'm in a room. It was a bit too small to fit me but I managed to squeeze myself in. "You gonna sit down?", I hear him ask. "Huh? Oh, sure", I reply. I then sat on a chair near a desk. He was sitting on the bed.

"Any other questions you wanna ask?", I asked him. He sits in thoughtful silence. I noticed that when he's really concentrated, his eyes dilates and his cheeks puffs up a bit. "Hmm. Have you ever...had a crush on someone?", he asks. Are we playing truth or dare?

I raise an eyebrow at the question but answer the question anyway. "No, never", I reply. "Really?", he asks. "Really. I don't want to give them any sort of satisfaction", I reply. He raises an eyebrow at my statement but doesn't say anything else.

"Do you have any questions?", he asked. I did have one question in mind. "So, what made you move here to Missouri anyway?", I asked. There was a moment of silence. There was no emotions showing on his face yet I can sense both fear and dread radiating from him.

"N-nothing special, really. Dad got a new job here and we had to move", he said. I'm not dumb and I know it's a lie but I let him have the benefit of the doubt for now. "Oh, that's cool", I said. "How about you? Lived here you whole life or..?", he asked.

I shake my head. "No, no. I wasn't born here. I don't really remember that much", I respond. "What do you mean you don't remember?", he asks. Ah, crap. "Oh, it's nothing really. I was rather young when I moved to Missouri", I lied. I hope that was believable enough.

He nods in understanding. "Oh, yeah. That makes sense. My parents actually moved from Wyoming to Illinois when I was about 2 years old. I don't really remember much from that time", he says. Phew.

"Hey, what time is it?", he asks. I take out my phone as does he and we checked the time. Oh, damn. It's already 1:27 p.m. "I should probably go home now", I say. "Yeah. See you on Monday", he says. "See you on Monday", I reply as I sneaked downstairs.