The Vocalist

Author's Note: A short inspired by a dream I had just yesterday morning.

🙏🏼

Kinston, North Carolina
Sunday, May 15, 2004

🙏🏼

It's nearly 2 pm and Maceo was certain that service would let out at least by 1, but boy was he wrong. Prince and the NPG are on a tour break, and they've traveled all the way to Kinston, North Carolina for a celebration regarding Maceo's accomplishments and distributions to the music industry. The band finds themselves inside of Maceo's home church, partaking in praise and worship.

But lead man Prince is all praised out.

Yes, he loves the most high indeed, but the brother's hungry, and his mind's set on being free. Peering through the slight tint of his glasses, he scoffs at Mary Louise Jenkins, shouting towards the pulpit and catching the Holy Ghost for what he's sure is the seventh time.

Suppressing a chuckle, Chance leans over and offers a whisper to his pal.

"Here goes, 5..4.. she bout to pass out."

Beyond over it, Prince is

Beyond over it, Prince is. And there's that growling stomach again.

His body shifts forward, glancing down the pew at Candy Dulfer, "Got anymore of those mints?"

She doesn't. He ate them all.
This sends him slamming backwards. Agitated ain't the word, and the preacher's sermon still ain't over.

The louder everyone shouts, the harder his heel clicks and clacks. It's taking everything in him not to jolt up and break for the parking lot.

But finally! God must hear his stomach growls and internal cries. Preacher says his final words, and just as Prince cracks a smile of relief, the organ blares from the left.

 Preacher says his final words, and just as Prince cracks a smile of relief, the organ blares from the left