Skye

I ain't ever been too good with words. All of my life it seems like when it's time to say something important, my mouth gets ready to form whatever that needs to be said but my brain freezes, stopping everything before it even gets to start.

Yeah, that's something I've always struggled with. From Easter speeches to senior project thesis, this mouth of mine seems to be good for nothing...

But eating.

It's funny how life is sometimes. It was one of those very tongue twisted moments that started the friendship between me and Skye Jones.

Hartfield Elementary, Mrs. Ellis first grade class.

I was the new kid there after three moves, courtesy of my mother's job. Having to start over that many times for a 6 year old wasn't easy, it was hard not knowing anybody.

Mrs. Ellis had given each of us kids an opportunity to stand up and briefly discuss whatever item we brought for show and tell. And when it was my turn? You guessed it. The blank mind and twisted tongue didn't fail.

And as the laughs grew louder as a result of my misfortune, the two action figures that I thought I was excited to show hit the floor.

And of course my next move was out the door.

Glasses off, crouched down, and against the wall I cried, until I felt a few taps to the shoulder.

Looking at who I thought would be Mrs. Ellis turned out to be a kid from class. Staring up into those wide and expressive pools of toffee, the almond toned girl frowned immediately after I coughed and she said to me...

"It would be nice if you covered your mouth while coughing. I learned that in preschool."

"So did I. I just forget sometimes. What's your name?"

"Skylar Paige Jones. You've been here for a week and you still don't know your teacher's favorite student?"

She was offended.

"Um... you?"

Then she got really offended.

"You don't get out much...do you?"

And I had no idea what she meant by that.

"Ok. Well, I'm Patrick. Patrick Nelson. How come Mrs. Ellis ain't come out?" Carefully, I placed my glasses back on.

Reaching down, she took me by the arm and pulled me up.

"I know who you are. I know everything. And she sent me out here to bring you back inside. Besides," The mini woman planted her hands to her nonexistent hips. "Don't let them other kids punk you. Ain't your fault your mind moves faster than your mouth does, ok?"

Certainly she had the gift of gab and I was mesmerized. Where did this girl come from?

And from the moment we walked hand in hand back into the classroom, I was sold.

¿♥?

As the years went by, inseparable is what everyone called us. From school work to prom, we did everything together.